Rolimno virus (Rolimno pop-ups)
The Rolimno virus (also found as Rolimno Deals, Rolimno pop-ups) is potential malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that changes existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, and displays unwanted advertisements including Rolimno pop-up ads, banner ads, in-text adverts, and more. Rolimno pop-up advertisements often appear when visiting corporate and retail websites with enough content to allow the program to target keywords and other data.
Rolimno adware installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to the previously mentioned internet browsers as a standalone browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension possibly titled Rolimno Toolbar, and/or bundled inside third-party browser items or software. Once an item used to promote Rolimno malware is installed, it will begin to change browser settings.
Rolimno advertisements can usually be identified by text that says “Ads by Rolimno” but the style of displayed advertisements often vary.
Rolimno adware is a very intruding and has the potential to collect all computer activity and information about every website visited. Information collected includes your full name, home address, telephone number, email address, and more. Victims of this particular malware infection have complained of unwanted email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers often relating to recent internet browsing activity.
The Rolimno virus (though not technically a computer virus) and related third-party malware may collect and distribute extremely sensitive information users manually submit into online forms and offers including bank account credentials and credit card information. In rare cases, victims of the Rolimno hijacker are at risk of credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and other crimes.
How does Rolimno adware get onto a computer?
Rolimno adware or items that may generate unwanted advertisements can often be manually and voluntarily downloaded from questionable websites; however, most users complain that malware was installed without consent causing unwanted advertisements and other issues.
In most cases Rolimno software or software used to generate unwanted ads bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware. Users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install adware, but the request to deny the installation is often ignored or presented in a very colluding manner.
How to remove Rolimno adware
- Automatically remove Rolimno adware – Scan for and automatically remove Rolimno and third-party malware
- Manually remove Rolimno – Remove/Uninstall Rolimno promoted software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Rolimno removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Rolimno adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Rolimno adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Rolimno and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Rolimno, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Rolimno removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Rolimno adware and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Rolimno
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Rolimnos and other potentially unwanted software that may generate advertisements. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Rolimno add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Rolimno add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Rolimno extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Rolimno add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Rolimno add-on and remove it if located.