How To Remove The Perk Virus – Remove search.perk.com Redirect (Perk Browser Malware)
What is Perk Malware (https://search.perk.com)?
Perk is a very unethical website and alleged “web browser” that is considered combo malware, in particular a browser hijacker, adware, and spyware. Perk is also often referred to as Perk malware or the Perk virus. The Perk virus changes internet browser settings, including browser interface, default search engine, homepage, and browser shortcuts, in turn causing browsers to redirect to
https://search.perk.com and target and start up on perk.com web pages. Perk malware may also be very confusing and very difficult to uninstall. It has been reported and concluded that attempting to remove Perk using Windows Uninstaller is “nearly impossible,” as Perk simply removes the Perk icon from the Uninstaller interface, but does not remove the Perk program or Perk Web Browser from the computer. It has also been reported and conluded that the general Uninstaller location for Perk does not exist as promoted on Perk.com (Start > All Program > Perk > Uninstall Perk).
Perk can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of websites including
perk.com, but as previously stated Perk malware primarily installs without consent. Victims of the Perk virus often notice they have been targeted by Perk when an icon with a star in the middle appears on the desktop (Perk browser icon), or if the default internet browser changes appearance (such as Google Chrome or Apple Safari) to accommodate the Perk browser.
The Perk browser appears just like or similar to Google Chrome or Apple Safari depending on operating system. The Perk browser may claim to have “perks” or points that can be used towards different stores such as Walgreens.Furthermore, the Perk browser contains icons such as sunglasses and other drop down menus. The Perk browser may also display unwanted advertisements on these drop down menus or display irrelevant advertisements over legitimate advertisements on reputable websites such as Amazon.com.
Perk browser may also install unwanted software if being manually and voluntarily downloaded that may attempt to collect sensitive information, especially information manually submitted to online forms, such as usernames, bank account numbers, passwords, home addresses, and more.
Computers and browser infected with Perk malware are directed to the Perk website upon booting internt browsers
https://perk.com or redirected to thePerk Search Engine https://search.perk.com/perk/websearch?q= when attempting to search the webs using the browsers address bar or direct to popular websites such as Google or Facebook.
Is Perk safe, legitimate?
The Perk Web Browser is not safe for reasons concerning the invasion of privacy, entrapment, and unethical marketing practices. Also note, many suspicious security websites claim that Perk and Perk Search Engine results may contain malicious payloads and associate with Trojan horses, but we have found nothing that support these claims.
Perk is not considered beneficial as it was designed to target and entrap unsuspecting victims to terms they would never agree with if presented in a proper manner. Though users can generate “points” and participate with Perk, it is absolutely recommended to avoid downloading and installing Perk software.
Perk and the Perk browser may appear on a computer without permission often alongside third-party software and files such as freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents. Perk also associates and bundles with third-party malware including adware, browser hijackers, and spyware.
Antivirus software won’t detect or remove Perk browser
If your Antimalware scanner or other form of malware removing software will not detect and remove Perk from your computer there are other solutions to remove Perk malware from your computer and uninstall Perk browser malware from your computer.
It is also recommended to avoid suspicious websites that claim to have Perk virus removal software, as most of them are much more dangerous than Perk malware itself. Many of these websites engage in social engineering by claiming their software can remove Perk from your computer when downloaded and purchased, even though the software will not detect and remove Perk. This is an unethical marketing practice or scam orchestrated to generate income off the misfortunes of others.
Though many Antivirus software scanners will not detect and remove Perk, Perk may bundle with third-party malware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that should automatically be removed using capable software.
Perk Facebook scam
Perk aggressively attempts to get users to sign into their software using Facebook and other accounts. This is done so Perk can “hijack” the Facebook user or entrap the Facebook user to unethical terms that they would most likely never agree with if given knowledge.
Perk may spam and advertise posts using the compromised Facebook account that was “manually turned over,” comment without direct authorization, and collect information. Perk may also tag friends using the compromised Facebook account.
How to remove Perk malware (Perk hijacker)
- Uninstall Perk malware – Use the correct Perk malware uninstall procedures (3 options)
- Scan computer for malware – Scan for and remove additional malware from your computer
- Automatically repair browser settings – Automatically remove Perk browser settings and uninstall stubborn Perk software
- Manually remove search.perk.com homepage
- Manually remove search.perk.com search engine
1. Uninstall Perk (3 options)
Perk may be difficult to uninstall using Windows Uninstaller and other procedures.
Option 1: Manual search and destroy
The first option to uninstall listed is to manually locate a folder and completely delete it.
1. Close all Perk programs and navigate to C:\Users\1\AppData\Local.
2. Find a folder titled Perk and manually delete it (right click ~ delete). Click Yes when prompted to delete the Perk folder.
You may notice that the Perk icon is still visible on your computer, if this is the case, simply click the icon to ensure that Perk will not run. A notification alert may prompt that says “Problem with shortcut… Do you want to delete this shortcut?” Click Yes (pictured below).
Option 2: Windows Uninstall
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program (depending on your version of Windows).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Perk, Perk browser, Perk Toolbar, and other suspicious third party programs. Uninstall Perk and unwanted software by double clicking the program’s icon, or highlight the program in the list and click the Uninstall button/tab.
Option 3: CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to uninstall stubborn Perk browser software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform and run the program.
2. Once installed, navigate to Tools > Uninstall tab and locate Perk software in the list. To automatically uninstall stubborn Perk software click Run Uninstaller.
2. Scan computer for malware (automatic removal)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can be used to detect and remove additional and/or third-party malware from your computer system, including malware that may be responsible for symptoms of the Perk virus.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so.
3. Open the first tab labeled “Scanner” and select the Perform full scan option. Click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting your computer system.
4. Once the full system scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a message stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
3. Automatically repair browser settings (automated repair)
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can also be used to repair internet browser settings and stop your browser from redirecting to https://search.perk.com and other websites.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform and run the program.
2. Once installed, run the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Look for anything that may be suspicious or contain “Perk” in the title or filename.
4. Manually remove search.perk.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Perk.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Perk.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Perk.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
5. Manually remove search.perk.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the Perk.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the Perk.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Perk.com to remove it as your search engine.
Please note, If www.perk.com is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove Frameseek.com by clicking the X next to it.
Virus Removal Helpline 1- Call and the Virus is Gone! 1-888-986-8411