How to remove PC Speed Up (Virus Removal Guide)
PC Speed Up virus (Speedchecker Limited)
The PC Speed Up virus (also found as PCSpeedUp virus, Speedchecker Limited; though not technically a computer virus) is a potentially unwanted program or malware categorized as scareware that is promoted as a Microsoft Windows cleaner and optimizer tool; however, PC Speed Up is essentially a non-beneficial Windows Optimizer program that participates in unethical marketing practices in order to generate customers and collect user information.
PC Speed Up promotes a free trial is a that displays misleading information, scan results, system startup information, background application information, and unwanted alert messages. In turn the results and messages prompted by PC Speed Up malware are used by the program to scare users into purchasing the full version by registering PC Speed Up as the free program will not fix problems unless the user purchases the unwanted item.
A pop-up from PC Speed Up may appear that says “Warning! XXXX problems and suggestions are slowing down your PC performance. – Register PC Speed Up now to immediately remove these problems and speed up your PC. REGISTER – Cancel” in order to get victims to order the non-beneficial PC Speed Up Windows software.
The program also opens internet browser windows. Another pop-up message along with a browser redirect may say “Please register on the page that appears in your browser – If your browser has not opened the purchase page – please copy & paste following URL to the browser and open the purchase page manually – http://www.pcspeedup.com/buy.aspx – After you purchase you will receive an activation code. Please enter the code exactly to the field below to unlock full version of PC Speed UP – Activate now – Cancel.”
PC Speed Up also collects and distributes user information manually submitted online while the program is installed or information submitted to the initial party and involved third-parties. PC Speed Up may collect complete computing and browser activity. The information collected is often submitted to marketing and mailing lists. Victims have reported excessive email spam from PC Speed Up – Speedchecker Limited and third-parties, as well as junk mail and telephone calls from telemarketers at home.
In the short time that PC Speed Up software has been active the company has accumulated many complaints filed with the BBB stating advertising/sales issues, delivery issues, guarantee/warranty issues, and problems with product/service.
PC Speed Up and the company refereed to as Speedchecker LImited has also been caught fabricating positive reviews on many websites.
PC Speed Up may be difficult to remove or close often prompting confusing or frightening messages such as “Before closing PC Speed Up – Warning! Your PC has errors which may slow your performance – Purchase your copy of PC Speed Up to fix errors and save yourself months of frustration and crashes! Purchase online – Quit.”
How does PC Speed Up malware get onto a computer?
PC Speed Up malware can be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of locations such as
pcspeedup.com, download.com, and others; however, most users claim that PC Speed Up scareware installed without consent.
PC Speed Up also bundles with third-party freeware and shareware.
In some instances PC Speed Up scareware may be contracted via advertisements, email spam, and compromised social media content.
How to remove PC Speed Up
- Automatically remove PC Speed Up – Scan for and automatically remove PC Speed Up malware
- Manually remove PC Speed Up – Remove/Uninstall PC Speed Up and third-party malware if allowed
1. Automatic PC Speed Up removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove PC Speed Up scareware and third-party malware.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn and possibly rogue PC Speed Up software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Something to look for might include the title “PC Speed Up or Speedchecker Ltd.”
4. To automatically uninstall PC Speed Up and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and located software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual PC Speed Up removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall “rogue” PC Speed Up software using generic removal procedures (if allowed), as well as third-party malware that may have installed alongside rogue Windows optimization software.
How to uninstall PC Speed Up
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for PC Speed Up and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.