PC Performer virus (by Performersoft)
PC Performer (also found as PC Performer by Performersoft.) is potential malware categorized as non-beneficial scareware that utilizes unethical marketing techniques to obtain customers and further create many issues for Microsoft Windows computers. PC Performer is essentially a non-beneficial and unethical Windows Optimizer
Once PC Performer is installed the program will begin to scan the computer system for registry issues and problems that may allegedly slow a computer down; however, alike many fake or non-beneficial Windows Optimizers, PC Performer will show misleading results often claiming that a large amount of issues are facing the computer. PC Performer will also claim that is has system settings to optimized and has located unused processes.
Furthermore PC Performer will not allow users to fix all the issues it has allegedly located unless the user registers and purchases the illegitimate Performersoft product. A PC Performer pop-up will appear that says “Registry errors found! Large number of registry errors indicate that your computer may be at a high risk of computer crashes, unwanted system errors, and slow software startups. Purchase now – Fix all errors with full version – Speed up your PC by purchasing the full version of PC Performer. Backed by our 30 days money back guarantee – Fix 15 errors for free – Try PC Performer for free before you decide to buy – Fix 15 errors – Already purchased PC Performer? Click here to enter your key.”
The results and messages displayed by PC Performer malware should be ignored and is common in most Windows Optimizer scams. PC Performer may present itself as freeware (free software) and allow users to scan for issues even though PC Performer is not free and will demand that the user purchases the product.
The PC Performer program may also be difficult to remove often displaying confusing pop-up windows in order to cause confusion or persuade users to purchase the non-beneficial item .
Potentially rogue PC Performer raises many privacy concerns as the item may collect and distribute sensitive user information, as well as create a backup of important files and Windows registry. PC Performer will even corrupt or change user registry settings.
Victims of rogue software or potential scareware often complain of excessive email spam, unwanted junk mail, and even telephone calls from telemarketers; often concerning their recent browsing and computing activities.
How does PC Performer malware get onto a computer?
PC Performer by Performersoft often bundles with freeware and shareware and can manually be installed from a variety of locations; however, most users claim the item was installed without consent.
PC Performer malware may also be contracted from advertisements, email spam, social media content, torrent files, and more.
How to remove PC Performer virus
- Automatically remove PC Performer – Scan for and automatically remove PC Performer malware
- Manually remove PC Performer – Remove/Uninstall PC Performer and third-party malware if allowed
1. Automatic PC Performer removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove PC Performer scareware and third-party malware.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn and possibly rogue PC Performer software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Something to look for might include the title “PC Performer or Performersoft.”
4. To automatically uninstall PC Performer and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and located software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual PC Performer removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall “rogue” PC Performer software using generic removal procedures (if allowed), as well as third-party malware that may have installed alongside rogue Windows optimization software.
How to uninstall PC Performer
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for PC Performer and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.