How to remove PC Defender 360 – Removal Instructions (Uninstall Guide)
PC Defender 360 (PC Defender 360 PRO)
PC Defender 360 (PC DEFENDER 360 PRO) also referred to as the PC Defender 360 virus (PC DEFENDER virus) is a fake Windows Antivirus and Antispyware program classified as malware in the Rogue.PCDefPlus family of scareware. PC Defender 360 malware performs fake system scans, displays fake alert notifications, terminates legitimate software used to eradicate it, and causes many problems for computer users.
PC Defender 360 attempts to frighten users into purchasing the full PC Defender 360 product by making fraudulent claims about the computer system. The fake Antivirus may claim “Product Not Avtivated. Please Register” and displays security alerts displayed below:
Security Alert Unknown program is scanning your system registry right now! Identity the theft detected. Security Alert Vulnerabilities Found Background scan for security breaches has been finished. Serious problems have been detected. Safeguard your system against exploits, malware and viruses right now by activating Proactive Defence.
These notifications should be ignored. Do not purchase, activate, or register the fake PC Defender 360 software. Handing over your purchase information to cyber criminals can be catastrophic.
PC Defender 360 is dangerous for reasons relating to the invasion of privacy and cyber crimes including credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. Victims have also reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers. Furthermore, PC Defender 360 and similar rogue software such as Anvisoft or Attentive Antivirus can compromise a computer systems functionality and cause a Microsoft Windows to become slow and sluggish.
If PC Defender 360 is installed on your computer, remove the fake security program and third-party malware immediately using the free PC Defender 360 removal instructions further below.
How does PC Defender 360 scareware infect a computer?
PC Defender 360 may bundle with downloadable content including freeware and shareware and is also fraudulently promoted as a legitimate tool on malicious websites, possibly including download.com. PC Defender 360 may also be promoted via Trojan horses that pretend to be a program necessary to view online videos.
In some cases the PC Defender 360 virus was contracted via compromised advertisements, websites, and social media content.
How to remove PC Defender 360
- Automatically remove PC Defender 360 – Scan for and automatically remove PC Defender 360 malware
- Manually remove PC Defender 360 – Remove/Uninstall PC Defender 360 and third-party malware if allowed
1. Automatic PC Defender 360 removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove PC Defender 360 scareware and third-party malware.
The free and full versions of Malwarebytes will detect and remove PC Defender 360 malware.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect PC Defender 360 and third-party malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn PC Defender 360 software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Something to look for might include the title “PC Defender 360”
4. To automatically uninstall PC Defender 360 and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and located PC Defender 360 software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual PC Defender 360 removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall PC Defender 360 using generic removal procedures, as well as third-party malware that may have installed alongside PC Defender 360 software.
Identifying PC Defender 360 files and registry entries (Advanced)
In some cases, PC Defender 360 can be manually removed by deleting associated files. Identifying these files is not always easy and is not recommended. Common file locations and file names are detailed below:
%CommonAppData%\ifdstore\ %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\app.ico %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\cache.bin %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\idfdata.bin %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\pcdefender.exe %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\support.ico %CommonAppData%\ifdstore\uninst.ico %CommonStartMenu%\Programs\PC Defender 360\ %CommonStartMenu%\Programs\PC Defender 360\PC Defender 360 Help and Support.lnk %CommonStartMenu%\Programs\PC Defender 360\PC Defender 360.lnk %CommonStartMenu%\Programs\PC Defender 360\Remove PC Defender 360.lnk %Desktop%\PC Defender 360.lnk
PC Defender 360 registry entries are listed below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ifdstore HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = "4g" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = ""%CommonAppData%\ifdstore\pcdefender.exe" /ex "%1" %*" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "idefsvc" = "%CommonAppData%\ifdstore\pcdefender.exe /min"
How to uninstall PC Defender 360 (Win.Rogue)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for PC Defender 360 and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.