How to remove Lphant virus – Removal Instructions (Uninstall Guide)
Lphant (Discordia Ltd) formally known as Lphant 6.0 and sometimes referred to as the Lphant virus is potential malware categorized as a browser hijacker and spyware that masquerades as a free P2P client (peer-to-peer file sharing application) and causes many problems for computer users such as the loss of computing and internet browsing functionality, the intrusion of privacy, the installation of additional malware, and more. The Lphant malware application can be manually and voluntarily installed, though it’s reported that Lphant may download and install without user consent.
Since Lphant is owned by Discordia Ltd (and possibly others) who owns iMesh, Bearshare, and other questionable search engines, the application and relating items may change internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer and install additional software such as Music Box Toolbar without user consent or knowledge, as well as cause affected internet browsers to redirect to the previously mentioned search engines, search.conduit.com, ask.com and start up on unwanted websites.
According to user reports Lphant and relating parties use colluding tactics collect and distribute user information and submit users to mailing and marketing lists without consent or knowledge (entrapment). Some users have revived excessive email spam, jink mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers and scam artists.
Once installed, Lphant and associated third-parties have been rarely assumed to collect user information including sensitive data manually submitted online such as usernames, passwords, email addresses, credit information, bank account details, home addresses, telephone numbers, social media content and relationship information, and more. Cyber crimes relating to the collection of sensitive information include credit theft, extortion, and identity theft and may also introduce victims to targeted criminal activities.
Many reports indicate that Lphant and relating software may be difficult to uninstall. Since this is often the case, instructions to uninstall Lphant and related software using automatic procedures is explained further below.
How does Lphant malware get onto a computer?
Lphant can be manually and voluntarily downloaded and installed to a computer as the application is available at a variety of sources including lphant.com and download.com; however, there are many reports suggesting that Lphant and associated items may install without user consent. Lphant often bundles with additional freeware, shareware, and torrents and also requires uses to bundle with additional software before the app can be installed and used.
In many cases links to download Lphant are introduced by advertisements. Lphant advertisements may appear in third-party P2P client user interfaces, file sharing websites, torrent websites, and similar.
How to remove Lphant
- Automatically remove Lphant – Scan for and automatically remove Lphant and associated malware
- Manually remove Lphant – Uninstall Lphant and third-party software
1. Automatic Lphant removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Lphant hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your affected internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Lphant and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Lphant and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Lphant, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Lphant removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Lphant and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Lphant
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Lphant and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Lphant browser objects
Use the instructions to remove Lphant Plus add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Lphant extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Lphant add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Lphant add-on and remove it if located.