How to remove Lightning Savings virus – Removal Guide
Lightning Savings virus (LightningSavings)
The Lightning Savings virus (also found as LightningSavings virus; though not technically a computer virus) is potential malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that installs to a Microsoft Windows running computer and attaches to popular internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent. Lightning Savings also bundles with third-party items and other potential malware that may cause further complications.
Once Lightning Savings malware is installed, it will begin to replace existing internet browser settings and displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, in-text ads, banner ads, and especially drop-down coupons ads on popular online retail websites including walmart.com, ebay, and others.
Lightning Savings adware will attempt to display targeted coupons and offers for searched items or currently viewed products on retail websites by displaying a drop down tab and menu that can be identified by text that says the user has a numerical amount of coupons. The advertisements may drop down from the top right of the open internet browser window in a dark gray (black) drop-down list that contains links to coupons. Once clicked a coupon may be applied to the visited webpage.
The Lightning Savings pop-ups can be identified by a dark tab at the top browser window, the dark colored advertisements, as well as banners and skyscrapers that say Lightning Savings in orange with a lightning strike in between the two words.
Once a program that is used to assist in displaying Lightning Savings advertisements is installed it will begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote Lightning Savings advertisements may violate user privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (often associated with unwanted browser redirections and changed homepage settings).
Lightning Savings has permission to access your data on all websites, access your tabs and browsing activity, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
Lightning Savings malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists without user consent. Some users have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent browser activity and history.
Lightning Savings is also stubborn to uninstall and will make users reboot their systems and/or enter a verification code before the adware can be removed properly.
How does Lightning Savings adware get onto a computer?
Lightning Savings adware primarily bundles with third-party freeware and shareware. In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to download and install Lightning Savings adware and other items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a confusing manner and the adware platform will install without consent.
Lightning Savings adware can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of sources.
The unwanted adware platform may also hide inside third-party software and can be contracted from suspicious advertisements, email spam, torrents, etc.
How to remove Lightning Savings adware
- Automatically remove Lightning Savings – Scan for and automatically remove Lightning Savings and third-party malware
- Manually remove Lightning Savings – Remove/Uninstall Lightning Savings software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Lightning Savings removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Lightning Savings adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Lightning Savings adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Lightning Savings and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Lightning Savings, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Lightning Savings removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Lightning Savings adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Lightning Savings
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Lightning Savings and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that Lightning Savings may use a different title name.
If an alert appears and notifies you to reboot your system please do so, as well as follow other on-screen instructions.
How to remove Lightning Savings add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Lightning Savings add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Lightning Savings extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Lightning Savings add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Lightning Savings add-on and remove it if located.