What is Govome.com (Govome virus – redirect)?
The Govome virus is a term used for potential malware, categorized as a browser hijacker. The Govome virus changes internet browser settings, causing infected internet browsers to redirect to govome.com and other potentially unwanted websites Furthermore, the Govome virus may affect internet browser home page settings and shortcut icons, causing internet browsers to continuously start up on govome.com, even after removing the http://www.govome.com/ search engine from internal browser options. If you are infected with Govome malware, use the free Govome removal instructions provided in this article to remove malware affecting your system and stop your browsers from redirecting to govome.com.
The Govome search engine virus affects internet browser settings by use of internal (standalone, associated w/ Big Journey) and third-party software, including add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Meaning the Govome.com search engine may bundle inside or alongside third-party browser extensions that are accessible from distribution websites such as download.com and eazel.com. Even software such as freeware, shareware, codecs, filters, and files, including torrents may contain an implemention of code that may cause internet browsers to redirect to govome.com
In other instances govome.com is manually and voluntarily altered by internet users. Some internet users claim to use govome.com with ease, while most complain about govome.com’s unethical use of software, including software associated with Hong Kong Big Journey Technology Co.,Ltd (“Big Journey”).
Is Govome.com safe? Is Govome dangers?
Govome.com is not considered safe by many security experts for reasons citing cyber criminal behavior, entrapment, and the invasion of privacy.
In many cases, internet users and analysis indicate that govome.com may display malicious links, though they claim no responsibility or knowledge of such happenings. Malicious links may contain the additional installment of adware and spyware.
In one case study www.govome.com displayed irrelevant search results with links to malicious websites hosted in Russia.
Though govome.com has a bad reputation, the search engine may also display accurate results mixed with sponsored links (like most search engines do). There is nothing unethical about this, though many have reported that advertisements and sponsored links prompted by the Govome search engine may direct users to suspicious websites.
How to remove Govome – Govome remove
- Automatically remove Govome malware – Scan for and automatically remove malware affecting your computer system
- Manually remove Govome and third-party malware – Remove/UninstallGovome Search and remove third-party malware
1. Automatic removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Govome Search and third-party malware, as well as remove govome.com from your home page, default search engine, and browser shortcut.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, or uninstall pesky software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted software, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the items in the list of installed programs and double click them to uninstall.
2. Manual removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Govome Search malware and remove the govome.com redirect virus using generic removal procedures. Also, be aware of third-party software and browser attachments that may need to be removed from your computer to stop the Govome redirect.
How to uninstall Govome malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for suspicious software. Once suspicious software is located, double click the program or highlight the (select) program in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the Govome hijacker (Add-on, extension)
Use the instructions to remove add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars associated with the Govome hijacker. Titles may include Govome Toolbar, Govome Search toolbar, Govome Community Toolbar, and related, as well as third-party attachments such as Hola Toolbar and ZoomEx.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the Govome extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Govome add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Govome add-on and remove it if located.
How to manually remove govome.com home page
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove govome.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove govome.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove govome.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
How to remove govome.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the http://www.govome.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the http://www.govome.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to http://www.govome.com to remove it as your search engine. If govome.com is set as the default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove govome.com by clicking the X next to it.
The image above represents if govome.com is set as the default search engine on Google Chrome, and the mouse is hovered over Google, highlighting it in blue. Notice the Make default button appear as well.
How to uninstall govome.com shortcut
- Find the shortcut of particular browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) in all locations of the computer, including but not limited to the desktop;
- Right click and find “Option”;
- Delete govome.com in “Target” field of on the “Shortcut” tab.