How to remove Gnoosi.net redirect – Removal Instructions
Gnoosi virus (Gnoosi.net)
The Gnoosi virus (also found as GnoosiToolbar virus; though not technically a virus) is potential malware categorized as a browser hijacker and spyware that primarily installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension without user consent. The GnoosiToolbar add-on and extension or item used to promote gnoosi.net changes internet browser settings including the home page and default browser search engine. This causes affected browsers to redirect to gnoosi.net and search.yahoo.com and startup on gnoosi.net when users open a new browser window or tab.
Once software used to promote Gnoosi Search Engine is installed (such as GnoosiToolbar) the application will begin to replace existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information including data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more. Gnoosi malware may also collect information when GnoosiToolbar is uninstalled and use additional techniques to collect purchase information or persuade victims to purchase sponsored and/or non-beneficial software.
If software that causes your browser to redirect to http://www.gnoosi.net is installed on your computer system and attached to your internet browser you are at higher than usual risk of cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and others. Even though these crimes are rare, this particular category of malware leaves users at a much higher risk if the software was never introduced to the computer system.
Gnoosi.net displays sponsored search results and redirects results to search.yahoo.com. The search engine is not considered a legitimate standalone service.
How does Gnoosi malware get onto a computer?
Items used to promote the gnoosi.net redirect virus such as GnoosiToolbar (Gnoosi Toolbar) can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites including download.com. Gnoosi.net software or script used to transform browser settings to accommodate the search engine often bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware.
Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install GnoosiToolbar and change their home page and search engine to the Gnoosi search engine; However, the user request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
If GnoosiToolbar malware is installed, there is likely additional third-party potential malware on your computer system. The gnoosi.net redirect item primarily bundles with third-party browser objects and software without user consent or knowledge.
How to remove the Gnoosi virus
- Automatically remove Gnoosi – Scan for and automatically remove GnoosiToolbar and third-party malware
- Manually remove Gnoosi – Remove/Uninstall Gnoosi software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Gnoosi virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Gnoosi Home and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall the Gnoosi hijacker and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Gnoosi (GnoosiToolbar) and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Gnoosi, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Gnoosi virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Gnoosi (GnoosiToolbar) and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Gnoosi (GnoosiToolbar)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Gnoosi (GnoosiToolbar) and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Gnoosi add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Gnoosi Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and additional toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove different attachment titles than suggested and multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Gnoosi Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Gnoosi Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Gnoosi Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Gnoosi.net Search Engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the gnoosi.net search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the gnoosi.net search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to the gnoosi.net search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.gnoosi.net/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Gnoosi.net Homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove gnoosi.net from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove gnoosi.net from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove gnoosi.net and replace it with your preferred URL.