What is Freecorder (Freecorder.com)?
Freecorder, also referred to as the Freecorder virus or Freecorder malware is malware, categorized as an Internet browser hijacker and adware that essentially installs to computer systems without consent, but can be manually and voluntarily installed from Freecorder.com, as Freecorder advertises itself as a free tool, or freeware used to record video and audio from a variety of websites. The downside to Freecorder, is that in monetization efforts, the free product bundles additional malware with install, also without consent. Furthermore, those who install Freecorder malware voluntarily are often entrapped to very unethical terms that they would never agree with if presented to properly. Even though the Freecorder software installer allows users to opt out of installing additional software that will alter Internet settings, including homepages, default search engines, and Internet browser shortcuts, the installment process is designed to trick victims into installing third-party products.
Freecorder bundled with a variety of malware from variety of different sources, including adware such as Text Enhance which is an in-text advertising platform and browser hijackers such as Tidy Network, Conduit Search, and more. Freecorder changes Internet browser settings for popular Internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, as well as installs additional software including browser helper objects, add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars.
The Freecorder virus will cause Internet browsers to redirect to unwanted websites, as well as display unwanted advertisements, and collect personal information. Freecorder also uses collected information unethically, which may include selling information to suspicious third parties and marketing lists. VIctims of Freecorder malware often complain of excessive email spam, junk mail, and telemarketers, as well as was phishing attempts made by scam artists in the form of text messages, emails, and telephone phone calls .
Is Freecorder safe?
Freecorder is not safe for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity, unethical marketing practices, social engineering, and entrapment. Freecorder, as previously discussed is malware and is identified as malware by leading software companies. Products associated with Freecorder and Freecorder.com are also identified as malware, shown in the image below. If the computer using is taking advantage of real-time protection with anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes anti-malware Pro, the computer user will be stopped from downloading Freecorder malware, as well as third-party malware that may attempt to alter browser settings.
Like most freeware applications available online the attempt to be a legitimate tool used to record videos from such websites as YouTube, the Freecorder video recorder is unsafe.
If Freecorder installed to computer without consent, Freecorder malware may have been contracted via third-party malware and software, including freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents.
To remove Freecorder malware and third-party parasites from your computer, please use the Freecorder virus removal instructions below.
How to remove Freecorder malware
- Automatically remove Freecorder - Scan for and automatically remove malware infecting your computer system
- Manually remove Freecorder - Remove/Uninstall Freecorder and third-party malware
1. Automatic Freecorder removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Freecorder and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted websites from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcut, and other settings using free or paid system Cleaner software.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, or uninstall stubborn Freecorder software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, run CCleaner and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Freecorder, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Freecorder in the list of installed programs. Double click Freecorder to uninstall it.
2. Manual Freecorder removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Freecorder malware using generic removal procedures. Also, be aware of third-party software and browser attachments that may need to be removed from your computer.
How to uninstall Freecorder malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Freecorder and additional software. Once located, double click the Freecorder program or highlight it (select) in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the Freecorder hijacker (Add-on, extension)
Use the instructions to remove Freecorder add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. Titles may include third-party attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the Freecorder extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Freecorder add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Freecorder add-on and remove it if located.