The FirstSearchBar virus is a term for potential malware categorized as a browser hijacker that primarily installs to a computer system without user consent as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension. The FirstSearchBar browser hijacker changes existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer including the home page (start up page) and default, managed, and provided search engine, causing affected internet browsers to start up on and redirect to search.firstsearchbar.com, search.conduit.com, and other third-party domain names.
FirstSearchBar and similar browser hijackers raise concerns for their relations to cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. On a lesser-scale victims have reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers. It can be concluded that FirstSearchBar and third-party malware may collect and distribute sensitive user information in order to generate revenue off the confusion and misfortunes of internet users.
If FirstSearchBar Toolbar and similar third-party malware is installed on your system the illegitimate program may be set to run each time Microsoft Windows is booted.
Search engine results promoted by FirstSearchBar and third-parties are considered dangerous and irrelevant. FirstSearchBar and associated third-party malware may promote unlawful software and compromised websites via advertisements and search results (including sponsored search results).
How does FirstSearchBar malware infect a computer?
FirstSearchBar items, including associated third-party malware can be manually and voluntarily insallted and utilized as it is promoted on a variety of unethical websites including firstsearchbar.com, though most victims have reported that FirstSearchBar Toolbar and similar items install without consent or knowledge.
FirstSearchBar may also bundle with third-party downloadable content including freeware, shareware, and even torrents.
How to remove FirstSearchBar malware
- Automatically remove FirstSearchBar – Scan for and automatically remove FirstSearchBar and third-party malware
- Manually remove FirstSearchBar – Uninstall FirstSearchBar and third-party malware
1. Automatic FirstSearchBar removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the FirstSearchBar hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall FirstSearchBar and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall FirstSearchBar, FirstSearchBar Toolbar, and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for FirstSearchBar, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual FirstSearchBar removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall FirstSearchBar and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall FirstSearchBar
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for FirstSearchBar (First Search Bar), FirstSearchBar Toolbar (First Search Bar Toolbar), and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove FirstSearchBar
Use the instructions to remove FirstSearchBar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the FirstSearchBar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the FirstSearchBar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the FirstSearchBar add-on and remove it if located.