How to remove FB Desktop (Virus Removal Guide)
What is FBDesktop (Facebook Desktop)?
FBDesktop is a potentially unwanted program categorized as adware and a browser hijacker. FBDesktop is essentially a free program that is used to display Facebook activity on computer desktops, including Facebook News Feeds, Statuses, Albums, Blogs, and more on the user end. FBDesktop claims to be a legitimate and safe tool; However many users have claimed that the program installed with out permission,displayed pop-up advertisements, and bundled with unwanted add-ons, extensions.
It should be brought to attention that there are several versions of Facebook Desktop software that are identified as FBDesktop (Facebook Desktop) and other titles. This includes legitimate Facebook Desktop software distributed by Facebook and independent websites. The legitimate Facebook Desktop application can be downloaded here: https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php and is pictured left.
How does FBDesktop malware infect a computer?
FBDesktop malware often bundles with third-party software, including freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents and is distrubted on the unethical download.com website, as well as fbdesktop.com. FBDesktop malware can also be contacted via compromised social media posts, such as “hacked” Facebook posts and content that attempts to trick users to visit a suspicious website or click malicious links.
FBDesktop malware is primarily associated with third-party browser hijackers including add-ons, extensions, and Toolbars that change internet browser settings including the home page and default search engine, as well as scareware and other fraudulent and non-beneficial computer security tools like Internet Security 2013.
How to remove FBDesktop malware
- Automatically remove FBDesktop malware – Scan for and automatically remove FBDesktop and third-party malware
- Manually remove FBDesktop malware – Remove/Uninstall FBDesktop and third-party malware
1. Automatic FBDesktop removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove FBDesktop and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcuts, and other hijacked settings.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall FBDesktop, FBDesktop Toolbar, and related software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall FBDesktop, related software, and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for FBDesktop, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual FBDesktop removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall FBDesktop and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall FBDesktop malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for FBDesktop (FBDesktop App, Client, Toolbar) and other potentially unwanted software such as browse to save. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove FBDesktop add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove FBDesktop add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party software and titles.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the FBDesktop extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the FBDesktop add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the FBDesktop add-on and remove it if located.
- Certified Toolbar – Third-party browser hijacker
- Text Enhance – In-text advertising platform
- How to block advertisements and malicious resources using Windows hosts file
- How to stop unwanted redirections
- How to restore Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (XP, Vista, 7)
- How to refresh/reset Microsoft Windows 8 Operating Systems