What is Fastaddressbar.com (Fast Address Bar virus)?
Fast Address Bar, also referred to as the Fastaddressbar virus, Fast Address Bar virus, and search.fastaddressbar.com redirect virus, is malware categorized as a browser hijacker that voluntarily or entraps victims to change existing Internet browser settings such as the home page and default search engine, causing internet browsers to start up on and redirect to search.fastaddressbar.com and other websites.
Fast Address Bar is an illegitimate add-on for Mozilla Firefox and BHO for Microsoft Internet Explorer. The fact that the Fast Address Bar extension does not exist for Google Chrome is a red flag, as Google does not allow unethical third party developers to publish tools in their extension repository.
The Fast Address Bar add-on is allegedly used to turn your address bar into a faster search box, with keyword extra related searches, and extra history suggestions, but the features of the Fast Address Bar add-on are completely useless as these features are standard for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Is Fast Address Bar add-on safe to download and use?
No, Fast Address Bar is not safe to download and use for reasons concerning unethical behavior, the invasion of privacy, and cyber criminal activity.
- Fast Address Bar entraps victims to unethical terms which may allow the installment of additional third party malware to the computer system. Third party malware may include adware and spyware platforms utilized by fastaddressbar.com to generate a revenue stream.
- Fast Address Bar has been reported to install to computer systems and attach to internet browsers without consent, often bundled with third party malware.
- Fast Address Bar changes existing browser settings, likely without permission, including the browsers home page and default (managed, provided) search engine, in turn causing internet browsers to boot up on and redirect to search.fastaddressbar.com and other websites. When the Fast Address Bar add-on is attached to an internet browser, while attempting to search using the address bar, results will redirect to search.fastaddressbar.com and fastaddressbar.com sponsored links will appear as a pop-up in the address bar.
- Fast Address Bar is heavily connected to malware capable of collecting private information used for malicious activities including credit card numbers and information detailing the identification of the computer user and user activity and history.
How To Remove The Fast Address Bar Virus – Redirect
- Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software – Scan, detect, and remove the Fast Address Bar virus and third party malware
- System Restore – Restore computer to date and time before issues
- Uninstall Fast Address Bar – Windows Uninstaller
- Remove Fast Address Bar Add-on
- Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com From Home Page - (If necessary)
- Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com Search Engine – Stop redirect (If necessary)
- Safe Mode With Networking – Troubleshoot internet access and remove malware
- Manually Remove Fast Address Bar (Advanced) – Kill FastAddressBar process, remove files, and repair registry entries
1. Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software
Instructions: 1. Install Malwarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan (Image).
Malwarebytes will detect and remove additional malware from your computer, but if you do not wish to use software to remove FastAddressBar and relating malware, please proceed to the instructions below.
2. System Restore
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates. This can be used to remove new installments such as the Fast Address Bar and associated software that may have installed without detection.
System Restores can be used to remove entire installments of new software without harming your computer, nor deleting any data such as documents and media files (images, videos).
3. Uninstall Fast Address Bar
How To Uninstall Fast Address Bar (Windows Control Panel)
Before attempting to remove the Fast Address Bar add-on, extension, and/or toolbar, it is recommended to search your computer for unwanted programs.
1. Navigate to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a Program or Add/Remove Programs in the Programs section.
3. Search for Fast Address Bar and suspicious third party applications in the list of installed programs. Once the unwanted program is located, double click the program to uninstall it, or right click, and click Uninstall.
4. Remove Fast Address Bar Add-on
The instructions below describe how to remove Fast Address Bar add-ons, extensions and toolbars. It is also recommended to search for and remove any third party add-ons and extensions that may have infected your browser without permission.
Even though Fast Address Bar primarily attaches to Firefox and Internet Explorer, instructions to remove additional extensions from Google Chrome are included.
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A) or click Firefox in the top left corner and select Add-ons.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for Fast Address Bar and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for Fast Address Bar and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for Fast Address Bar and additional third party extensions. Remove the extensions by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
5. Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com From Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
How To Manually Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com From Home Page
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Search.fastaddressbar.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
6. Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
How To Manually Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com Search Engine
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Search.fastaddressbar.com from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the malicious Search.fastaddressbar.com search engine from the list.
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Search.fastaddressbar.comto remove it as your search engine. If Search.fastaddressbar.com is set as the default search engine add or select a new search engine and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove Search.fastaddressbar.com.
7. Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode with Networking can be used to troubleshoot internet and network access (Safe Mode can be used to simply access the system) and install software to remove the Search.fastaddressbar.com redirect virus and third party malware.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Before Window’s launches tap the F8 key constantly to access the appropriate menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to and highlight the Safe Mode with Networking option and press ENTER.
3. You can now access the internet or your network to install legitimate software to remove the Search.fastaddressbar.com virus.
8. Manually Remove Fast Address Bar (Advanced)
Kill Fast Address Bar Process
1. Access Window’s Task Manager typing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
2. Find and remove the Fast Address Bar process.
Remove Fast Address Bar Files
Repair And Remove Fast Address Bar Registry Entries
1. Access Window’s Registry Editor by navigating to the Start Menu and typing regedit into the search bar, followed by pressing Enter.
2. If you are not experienced with repairing or removing Registry entries, keys, etc, please do not proceed. Search for Fast Address Bar registry entries below and remove them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ERROR_PAGE_BYPASS_ZONE_CHECK_FOR_HTTPS_KB954312 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegedit" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegistryTools" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Inspector".
*Browser Shortcuts (Alternative Suspension Method)
Fast Address Bar may alter browser shortcuts on Windows operating systems. This is a common tactic for similar malware, but has not been a reported symptom of the Fast Address Bar browser hijacker. In some cases removing search.fastaddressbar.com from the browser shortcut (icon) using the steps below will stop the search.fastaddressbar.com redirect (suspend redirect).
- 1. Right click on a browser shortcut (icon) and select Properties.
- 2. On the shortcut tab, delete Search.fastaddressbar.com and click OK. If your shortcut is pinned to the task bar you have to unpin it first, then correct the shortcut in the start menu, and re-pin it to the task bar.