How To Remove Discount Buddy Virus – DiscountBuddy Malware Removal Instructions (Adware)
What is Discount Buddy (DiscountBuddy)?
Discount Buddy or DiscountBuddy is malware, categorized as adware, that utilizes browser hijackers in order to bombard a computer system with pop-up coupon based advertisements consisting of unethical deals and offers. Users infected with the Discount Buddy virus have reported that Discount Buddy advertisements primarily appear while browsing retail and deal based websites such as Amazon.com and Kayak.com. Discount Buddy advertisements or coupons may pop-up on the top right side of the internet browser as a coupon showcasing sponsored deals or as a drop-down tab stating the computer user has a certain amount of coupons.
Discount Buddy malware, alike similar adware platforms CouponDropDown and Coupon Companion use browser attachments (browser hijackers) in the forms of add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and Toolbars, in order to change browser settings without consent, causing Discount Buddy to display advertisements. Browser attachments used by Discount Buddy may come from third-parties or simply be titled after Discount Buddy. It has been noted that removing a third-party browser extension often stops Discount Buddy advertisements from popping up without permission.
How does Discount Buddy infect a computer?
Discount Buddy, as stated above may “bundle” with third-party browser attachments and even generic software and files, such as freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents, without making it clear to the person downloading or using the third-party item. This is referred to as entrapment.
Furthermore, Discount Buddy may be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of sources, often promoting Discount Buddy as a legitimate add-on used to find great deals on the internet.
Discount Buddy Adware: Symptoms and Dangers
- Alike most forms of adware, Discount Buddy may be very dangerous for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity and the invasion of privacy. Adware platforms associate with spyware, and may even install alongside spyware used to often collect sensitive information, including browser activity and history, and may even attempt to phish more information in order to complete unethical practices. Malware infections are often related to serious crimes involving credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
- Malware and adware platforms may slow a computer and internet browser, or cause operating systems to lag. Overall, malware associated with DiscountBuddy may cause a computer system to lose complete functionality.
- Discount Buddy may attach to a computer and internet browser without consent, often alongside third-party browser hijackers, or as a standalone Discount Buddy browser add-on or extension.
- Discount Buddy displays unwanted coupon advertisements in order to generate revenue via third party sponsors that may include offers, online retail stores, and distributors of malicious software.
If you are noticing Discount Buddy advertisements, or suspect your computer is infected with the Discount Buddy virus, please use the free instructions below to remove Discount Buddy malware and third-party parasites from your computer and internet browser.
How to remove the Discount Buddy virus
- Automatic removal (Removal software, Cleaner)
- Manual removal and repair (Manually remove Discount Buddy adware)
1. Automatic removal (Discount Buddy removal software)
Use the instructions below to automatically remove DiscountBuddy malware and repair internet browser settings.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so. If you are using an existing version of Malwarebytes on your computer, make sure you update the software by navigating to the Update tab.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect and remove DiscountBuddy malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the scan is over, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, or troubleshoot DiscountBuddy removal/uninstall issues.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted software, navigate to the Uninstall tab.
2. Manual removal (Remove DiscountBuddy)
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall DiscountBuddy and remove the DiscountBuddy add-on and extension using generic procedures.
How to uninstall Discount Buddy (Windows Uninstaller)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Discount Buddy (and suspicious third party software). To uninstall Discount Buddy double click the program icon, or highlight Discount Buddy in the list and click Uninstall.
How to remove Discount Buddy browser attachment
The Discount Buddy browser attachment may install as a standalone browser add-on and extension, alongside third-party browser attachments, or bundled inside third-party browser attachments. If the Discount Buddy browser hijacker is not located, removing a third-party extension will often stop Discount Buddy ads from popping up.
It is suggested to Uninstall any unwanted programs and browser helper objects using Window’s Uninstaller or CCleaner prior to removing the browser attachment.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the Discount Buddy extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
3. Follow any Uninstall instructions.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Discount Buddy add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Discount Buddy add-on and remove it if located.