How to remove Discount Buddy (Virus Removal Guide)
Discount Buddy (Discount Buddy virus, DiscountBuddy) is a well known adware infection that has been around for many years. It started off as a simple coupon drop-down pop-up (pictured below) and bloomed into a full fledged adware platform that delivers different types of advertisements. Discount Buddy adware generates pop-up advertisements across multiple internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari. It can also access, collect, and modify user browsing data and settings, as well as use a large amount of computer and browser resources.
Discount Buddy is similar to other adware platforms such as CouponDropDown and Coupon Companion. These adware type programs often use browser attachments in order to access user browsing data and change existing internet browser settings.
Discount Buddy adware is a privacy concern because it generates ‘targeted’ advertisements and will reappear once manually removed. The issue with targeted advertisements is that they can only be produced by Discount Buddy adware if it has obtained unauthorized access to personal browsing data including all browsing activities, bookmarks, and browser history.
The Discount Buddy extension for Google Chrome is that it can access and manage a large amount of information. According to the extension’s details it can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
Furthermore the “Discount Buddy virus” and third-party programs that it bundles with will also cause other issues aside from pop-up advertisements. Other issues include unwanted browser redirects to sponsored webpages, decreased computer productivity, and decreased internet speed.
Discount Buddy removal guide
- Step 1: Remove Discount Buddy browser attachments
- Step 2: Uninstall Discount Buddy from Windows
- Step 3: Remove Discount Buddy virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove Discount Buddy browser attachments
Before you move forward we strongly recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
Virus Removal Helpline
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Discount Buddy extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the Discount Buddy add-on on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Select it and click remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Discount Buddy extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall Discount Buddy from Windows
1. Go to Start Menu > Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. Search for Discount Buddy and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove Discount Buddy virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click the Scan Now button to perform a scan.
3. When Malwarebytes is done scanning your computer you will be directed to a list of threats found by the program including PUP.Optional.Discount Buddy.A. Click the Remove Selected button, click the Finish button, and reboot your computer if promoted by Malwarebytes to do so.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner and go to Cleaner. Click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the registry scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find anything suspicious in the list select it and click Delete.