Contenko virus (Contenko.com)
The Contenko virus (Contenko redirect virus; though not technically a virus, is potential malware categorized as a browser hijacker that installs to Microsoft Windows computer systems and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension without user consent. The Contenko add-on and extension or third-party object or software used to assist the initial party changes internet browser settings including the home page and default browser search engine (managed, provided, etc.) causing unwanted browser redirects to contenko.com and other websites.
Once software used to promote the Contenko Search Engine is installed the application will begin to corrupt browser settings and collect sensitive user information including data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more. Contenko malware may also use unethical techniques to collect purchase information or persuade victims to purchase non-beneficial software.
If programs alike Contenko and related third-party malware is installed on your computer and attached to your internet browser(s) you are at risk of cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and more. Though these crimes are rare, this particular category of malware leaves users at higher risk.
Contenko Search Engine primarily displays sponsored search results that may promote potentially malicious software.
How does Contenko malware get onto a computer?
Malware and items used to promote the contenko.com redirect can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites and Contenko also bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware. Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Contenko and change their home page and search engine to contenko.com; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner.
How to remove the Contenko virus
- Automatically remove Contenko – Scan for and automatically remove Contenko and third-party malware
- Manually remove Contenko – Remove/Uninstall Contenko software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Contenko virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Contenko and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall the Contenko hijacker and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Contenko and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Contenko, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Contenko virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Contenko and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Contenko
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Contenko and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Contenko add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Contenko Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and additional toolbars. Please note, it will be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Contenko extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Contenko add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Contenko add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Contenko Search Engine (conduit.com)
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the contenko.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the contenko.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to the contenko.com search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://contenko.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove it by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Contenko Homepage (conduit.com)
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove www.contenko.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove www.contenko.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove www.contenko.com and replace it with your preferred URL.