This ClimateClash removal guide contains steps to remove ClimateClash extension, viruses, malware, and other potentially unwanted programs and extensions from your browser and computer.
- Can read and change all your data on the websites you visit
- Can bundle with malware, potentially unwanted programs, adware, and other threats
- Advertised by malicious advertising networks
- Serves no purpose and does not work as advertised
- Forces victims to install it using a browser-lock screen
What is ClimateClash?
ClimateClash is a malicious browser extension that is promoted on websites that advertise and bundle malware, potentially unwanted programs, adware, spyware, and other malicious programs. The extension is bolstered as a free browser utility plugin that “keeps you up to date with weather updates in your region;” However, the extension does not actually work as advertised.
One issue with this extension is that it can read and change all your data on the websites you visit which can lead to the collection of your personal information and browsing habits. Your information can be sold or shared with a third-party. The MYWOT extension was recently caught selling identities and browsing habits and was removed from the Chrome and Firefox repository and they’re a well known entity, so it’s right to worry about this unknown party using your information for the wrong reasons.
The extension also employs very unethical marketing tactics that basically forces users to have no choice but to download and install the ClimateClash extension.
How to remove ClimateClash (Removal Guide)
- STEP 1: Scan your computer for malware
- STEP 2: Manually repair your browser settings
- STEP 3: Manually uninstall programs
- TIPS: How to stay protected against future infections
STEP 1: Scan your computer for malware
The best way to remove ClimateClash and other threats from your computer is to scan your computer for malware using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro softawre. Malwarebytes and HitmanPro will locate and eradicate this threat and other malicious files installed on your machine automatically.
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to run a scan and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Once installed, open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected malware click the Finish button and reboot your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files.
6. Once installed, open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
Your computer should now be free of ClimateClash and other threats completely; However, you can still use the manual repair and uninstall instructions below if your browser settings have not been repaired or if you think an unwanted program is still installed on your machine.
STEP 2: Manually repair your browser settings
If your browser settings have been changed use these instructions to manually repair your settings.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
STEP 3: Manually uninstall programs
If you are infected with adware and other unwanted programs you might be able to manually uninstall programs from your computer. Use these instructions to uninstall unwanted programs that may have installed on your machine. If you do not find a program installed on your machine make sure to scan your computer for malware using the instructions above.
TIPS: How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- Avoid visiting fake “spyware removal” blogs and websites that promote “spyware removal software.” These are usually malicious websites designed to phish your personal information, infect your computer with a rogue program and trick you into paying for rogue “spyware removal software.”
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know