What is Antivirus System (Scareware)?
Antivirus System, otherwise known as the Antivirus System virus is dangerous malware categorized as scareware (rogue) that causes many issues for computer users. Antivirus System is essentially a fake Windows Anti-spyware – Antivirus program that performs a fake scan System scan, a fake Internet scan, and displays fake messages and notifications. The Antivirus System virus practices social engineering in order to fraudulently persuade users to purchase or “update” the fake Antivirus System software. Antivirus System malware also collects sensitive user information among other problems. Please note, purchasing, registering, updating, or activating this fake WIndows Antivirus System program will not remove this computer virus or relating malware that may be infecting your computer. It is never recommended to give cybercriminals your purchase information or allow them consensual access to your computer system.
When Antivirus System is installed, this fraudulent program will be configured to start everyyour computer starts, or in some cases once a program is activated. Most of the time Antivirus System will appear and run a scan without consent. Antivirus System will return multiple fake scan results stating that numerous files on the computer are infected or malicious. These fake scan results should be ignored, as the primary goal of Antivirus System is to “scare” victims into believing their computer systems have fraudulent issues. *While your computer is infected with Antivirus System, your computer is not infected with what the program displays. Antivirus System should be removed immediately using the instructions further below.
Common fake alerts and fake results displayed by Antivirus System are detailed below:
Security Alert Vulnerabilities Found Background scan for security breaches has been finished. Serious problems have been detected. Safeguard your system against exploits, malware and viruses right now by activating Proactive Defence. Upgrade to full version of Antivirus System software package now! Clean your system and ward off new attacks against your system integrity and sensitive data. FREE daily updates and online protection from web-based intrusions are already in the bundle. Antivirus System Firewall Alert iexplore.exe is infected with Trojan-Downloader.JS.Agent.ftu. Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords. When you see these messages, please do not be concerned as your applications are not infected. Security Alert Unknown program is scanning your system registry right now! Identity theft detected! Threat: Hoax.HTML.OdKlas.a
Antivirus System will also terminate applications used to eradicate the malware and block certain informational websites.
How does Antivirus System infect a computer?
Antivirus System primarily infects computer systems via downloadable content, compromised links, and compromised websites. In some cases, Antivirus System may be promoted by third-party advertisements displayed on video-based websites. These websites may claim to offer codecs or plugins to view the video.
In other cases, the Antivirus System infection is contracted on websites that have been hacked with exploit kits that attempt to take advantage of the computer system and internet browser.
How to remove Antivirus System malware
- Automatically remove Antivirus System – Scan for and automatically remove Antivirus System malware
- Manually remove Antivirus System – Remove/Uninstall Antivirus System and third-party malware if allowed
1. Automatic Antivirus System removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Antivirus System scareware and third-party malware.
The free and full versions of Malwarebytes will detect and remove Antivirus System malware.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect Antivirus System and relating malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn Antivirus System software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Something to look for might include the title “pcfighter or spamfighter.”
4. To automatically uninstall Antivirus System and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and located Antivirus System software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual Antivirus System removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Antivirus System using generic removal procedures, as well as third-party malware that may have installed alongside Antivirus System software.
Identifying Antivirus System files (Advanced)
In some cases, Antivirus System can be manually removed by deleting associated files. Identifying these files is not always easy and is not recommended. Common file locations and file names are detailed below:
%CommonAppData%\ %LocalAppData%\ %LocalAppData%\.exe %Temp%\ %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\
How to uninstall Antivirus System (Win.Rogue)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Antivirus System and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
- How to remove System Doctor 2014 (Scareware)
- How to block advertisements and malicious resources using Windows hosts file
- How to stop unwanted redirections
- How to uninstall software using CCleaner by Piriform (Troubleshoot)
- How to restore Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (XP, Vista, 7)
- How to refresh/reset Microsoft Windows 8 Operating Systems