How to remove adware.win32.megasearch.aa – not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.MegaSearch.k
Adware.win32.megasearch.aa (also found as not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.MegaSearch.aa [Kaspersky] or win32.megasearch.aa for short) is a definition for potentially dangerous malware categorized as adware and spyware that utilizes browser hijackers to cause a variety of issues for computer and internet users relating to privacy and internet browser functionality. Adware.win32.megasearch.aa is also related to the browser hijacker titled Scour Toolbar and related items which are known to change internet browser functionality without user consent including the home page and default search engine of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. In turn this causes affected browsers to display unwanted pop-up, pop-under, in-text, banner, and other forms of advertisements, as well as redirect to and start up on unwanted search engines when opening a new browser window or tab and/or attempting to search the web using the internet browser address or omni bar.
- Win32.megasearch.aa illegally gains currency and information by installing additional advertisements and spyware without user consent.
- Win32.megasearch.aa and relating malware may deplete computer and internet browser functionality.
- Win32.megasearch.aa and similar adware may collect and distribute sensitive information including your ip address, your name, telephone number, home address, and more.
How does adware.win32.megasearch.aa get onto a computer?
adware.win32.megasearch.aa can be contracted from a variety of sources including torrent files, freeware, shareware, email spam, compromised social media content, advertisements, sponsored search results, and more.
Once installed adware.win32.megasearch.aa and related software malware may start once Windows is booted. The infection may also cause third-party objects to including browser add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) to change existing computer start up settings and internet browser settings.
File System Modifications
The following files were created in the system:
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\highlight.bmp 824 bytes
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\logo.bmp 5,312 bytes
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\popup_off.bmp 824 bytes
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\popup_on.bmp 824 bytes
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\popup_ona.bmp 824 bytes
- %AppData%\scourtoolbar\slider.bmp 632 bytes
- %ProgramFiles%\scourtoolbar\install.ico 4,710 bytes
- %ProgramFiles%\scourtoolbar\scourtoolbar.dll 1,962,496 bytes
- %ProgramFiles%\scourtoolbar\toolbar.ini 458 bytes
- %ProgramFiles%\scourtoolbar\uninstall.exe 68,616 bytes
The following directories were created:
How to remove win32.megasearch.aa
- Automatically remove adware.win32.megasearch.aa – Scan for and automatically remove adware.win32.megasearch.aa and third-party malware
- Manually remove unwanted software – Remove/Uninstall unwanted software (if necessary)
1. Automatic win32.megasearch removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove adware.win32.megasearch.aa and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall software relating to adware.win32.megasearch.aa adware.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted software and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for unwanted software, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual win32.megasearch.aa removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall unwanted software and third-party malware using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall unwanted software
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove adware.win32.megasearch.aa add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the adware.win32.megasearch.aa extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the adware.win32.megasearch.aa add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the adware.win32.megasearch.aa add-on and remove it if located.