Adpeak virus (Adware)
The Adpeak virus (Adpeak.com, Adpeak Inc.) is a common term used to describe an advertisement serving platform, website, and company. Adpeak is essentially potential malware categorized as adware and spyware that uses browser hijackers in the form of browser add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs), and extensions which they call browser apps. Adpeak Inc. software often downloads and installs to a computer system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and others without consent in order to display advertisements including pop-up ads, pop-under ads, in-text ads, banners, and others. Adpeak publishes “browser apps” such as Quick Share, GetSavin, ScorpionSaver, Adpeak Proxy, and many others. Removing these and other items will also remove Adpeak advertisements.
Once Adpeak malware is installed, it will begin to replace existing internet browser settings and displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, in-text ads, banner ads, and especially drop-down coupons ads on popular online retail websites including walmart.com, ebay, and others. Most of the time Adpeak ads appear form the bottom right of an open internet browser window.
Adpeak adware will attempt to display targeted coupons and offers for searched items or currently viewed products on retail websites by displaying a drop down tab and menu that can be identified by text that says the user has a numerical amount of coupons. The advertisements may drop down from the top right of the open internet browser window in a drop-down list that contains links to coupons. Once clicked a coupon may be applied to the visited webpage.
Some Adpeak pop-ups can be identified by a blue, green, or white tab at the top browser window as well as banners and skyscrapers that say Ads by QuickShare or brought by ScorpionSaver with a link to the Adpeak company website.
Once a program that is used to assist in displaying Adpeak advertisements is installed it will begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote Adpeak advertisements may violate user privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (often associated with unwanted browser redirections and changed homepage settings).
Adpeak browser apps have the permission to access your data on all websites, read and modify your browsing history, and access your tabs and browsing activity which leads many experts to label this browser attachment as spyware. Other browser apps may have initial permission in place including the permission to access your complete computing activity.
Adpeak malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists without user consent. Some users have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent browser activity and history.
Adpeak is also stubborn to uninstall and will make users reboot their systems and/or enter a verification code before the adware can be removed properly.
This item is not technically a computer virus, instead the related item is considered potential malware or a potentially unwanted program (PUP).
How does Adpeak adware get onto a computer?
Adpeak adware often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware from websites such as download.com. In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Adpeak adware and other items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a colluding manner as pictured below.
Adpeak adware can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of unethical sources including the companies website and standalone browser app website.
How to remove Adpeak adware
- Automatically remove Adpeak – Scan for and automatically remove Adpeak and third-party malware
- Manually remove Adpeak – Remove/Uninstall Adpeak software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Adpeak virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Adpeak adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Adpeak adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Adpeak software and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for software published by Adpeak Inc., etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Adpeak virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Adpeak adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Adpeak (Publisher)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for software by Adpeak Inc. and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that Adpeak may use a different title name and may cause a pop-up to appear that claims Adpeak proxy needs to be closed. Whatever option you chose is fine concerning Adpeak proxy if you receive the alert message.
How to remove Adpeak add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Adpeak add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Adpeak extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Adpeak add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Adpeak add-on and remove it if located.