How to decrypt and remove Fabiansomware ransomware
Fabiansomware ransomware is a computer virus that encrypts files on your computer, changes the file names, and adds the .encrypted file extension to files it encrypts. Fabiansomware ransomware will also load a file named How_To_Decrypt_Your_Files.txt in every folder it encrypts files in. The How_To_Decrypt_Your_Files.txt text note asks users to contact “firstname.lastname@example.org”, “email@example.com” or “firstname.lastname@example.org” in order to obtain a special password and data decryption software to recover encrypted files.
Ransom note example
Attention!!! Your Computer was Locked! All DATA were Encrypted!
Contact by Email for DATA recovering.
Email : email@example.com
Then, we’ll provide Unlock-Password and Data Decryption Software to you.
WARNING: If you don’t contact in 48 hours, then all DATA will be damaged unrecoverably!!!
To make matters worse, deceptive and misleading spyware removal websites have published “Fabiansomware removal guides” in hopes to gather organic traffic and trick users into purchasing decryption software and malware removal tools. This ransomware is free to decrypt and remove, so if another website suggests that you pay for decryption software or download a “scanner only” tool ignore it and make sure to flag it on third-party review sites so others can be aware.
Fabiansomware ransomware is named after a security research with Emsisoft named Fabian Wosar. Fabian Wosar has been successful at creating free decryption software for for many threats, including other ransomware associated with the authors of Fabiansomware. Since Wosar has been so successful at defeating (and essentially owning) the malware authors, they have started to retaliate in different ways. For starts they created Fabiansomware in order to poke the security researcher. They have also left him hidden messages with profane language in other ransomware files.
- Aliases: Fabiansomware virus, Fabiansomware ransomware
How to decrypt Fabiansomware ransomware
It is not recommended to pay ransomware authors or fake computer security websites to decrypt your files. Luckily, Wosar has been able to create free Fabiansomware decryption software. You can also use programs like Shadow Explorer, PhotoRec, or Recuva to restore corrupted files.
How to remove Fabiansomware ransomware
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know
- How to uninstall a program from Windows
- How to uninstall a program from Mac
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
- How to remove extensions from Safari
Default image source: http://blog.emsisoft.com/2016/09/02/fabiansomware-when-hackers-lose-it/