Remove GoMovix (Virus Removal Guide)
Remove GoMovix (Virus Removal Guide)
GoMovix (also searched for as GoMovix virus or GoMovix search virus) is the title of a publisher that has developed several browser plugins including the Search By goMovix extension for Google Chrome. The Search By goMovix browser extension is used to change the homepage (startpage) and default search engine of affected internet browsers. In turn, the GoMovix extension will cause affected internet browsers to redirect to gomovix.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages when you search the web using the browser address bar or when you press M and Tab in the address bar.
Although this programs is typically referred to as the “GoMovix virus” the browser extension is not technically defined as computer viruses or malware. The extension is essentially categorized by internet security products and malware analysts as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that engages in misleading marketing tactics and hijack internet browser settings and direct users to sponsored search engines.
- What is GoMovix?
- How to uninstall GoMovix
- How to remove GoMovix with Malwarebytes
- GoMovix removal tips
What is GoMovix?
GoMovix is promoted as free browser extensions that will help you find showtimes, watch trailers, browse photos, track your must-see list and rate your favorite movies and TV shows. However, in return, the GoMovix extension will read and change all your data on the websites you visit, communicate with cooperating websites, and change your search settings to gomovix.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages.
GoMovix and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. GoMovix is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that GoMovix may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
Many victims have complained of unwanted pop-up ads caused by third-party adware. Adware associated with GoMovix display ‘targeted’ style advertisements. This means that the adware will manufacture advertisements based off of your personal browsing data, such as your bookmarks and history.
As previously mentioned, GoMovix is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware type program and browser plugin is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove GoMovix if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
- Search By goMovix bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Search By goMovix is usually bundled inside or advertised by third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- Adware that may arrive alongside Search By goMovix injects the webpages you visit with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- Search By goMovix changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the plugin and associated programs to run every time Windows starts.
- Search By goMovix will launch at system startup and continue to run in the background even once Google Chrome is closed.
- The Search By goMovix extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- The Search By goMovix extension for Google Chrome can communicate with cooperating websites.
- The Search By goMovix extension for Google Chrome will change your search settings to: gomovix.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages.
How to uninstall GoMovix
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for GoMovix in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click GoMovix to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find GoMovix in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for Search By goMovix in the list and click the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Search By goMovix add-on and click Remove next to it.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Search By goMovix extension in the list and click the Uninstall button next to it.
How to remove GoMovix with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download Malwarebytes[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
GoMovix removal tips
- If you do not find GoMovix in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing GoMovix you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.