How to remove FreeCodecPack (Virus Removal Guide)
FreeCodecPack (also searched for as FreeCodecPack virus or Free Codec Pack virus) is detected as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by reputable internet security products. FreeCodecPack usually downloads and installs without user consent or knowledge. The FreeCodecPack program can automatically install in the background while you work on your computer or browse the web. Once the “FreeCodecPack virus” has been installed it will create a folder by the same name, add new tasks to Windows, and generate unwanted pop-up ads and browser redirects.
What is FreeCodecPack?
Third-party software bundlers and download managers promote FreeCodecPack as a free codec or media player update which can help you view and listen to certain types of video and audio files.
FreeCodecPack adware generates very intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by FreeCodecPack are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
FreeCodecPack adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove FreeCodecPack if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did FreeCodecPack get on my computer?
FreeCodecPack and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. FreeCodecPack is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that FreeCodecPack adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”FreeCodecPack overview”]
- FreeCodecPack bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- FreeCodecPack is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- FreeCodecPack injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- FreeCodecPack makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings (such as Windows registry) and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove FreeCodecPack virus
- Option 1: Automatically remove FreeCodecPack virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove FreeCodecPack
[frame_box] For Tech Support Call:
Option 1: Automatically remove FreeCodecPack virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “FreeCodecPack” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing FreeCodecPack we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove FreeCodecPack.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove FreeCodecPack
How to uninstall FreeCodecPack
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for FreeCodecPack in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click FreeCodecPack to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find FreeCodecPack in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove FreeCodecPack below.[/note]
How to remove FreeCodecPack add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the FreeCodecPack extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the FreeCodecPack add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the FreeCodecPack extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find FreeCodecPack in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove FreeCodecPack below.[/note]
FreeCodecPack virus removal tips
- If you do not find FreeCodecPack in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing FreeCodecPack you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.