July 19, 2016 at 8:22 pm #68029
My computer is very slow and a process called WinRouteD.exe seems to be the cause as it is using up all my memory. I found the process running in the task menu. I have ended it but sometimes it comes back and it causes my computer to become very slow.
It’s frustrating… So, what is WinRouteD.exe and how can I remove it?
Thank you in advanced.July 19, 2016 at 8:29 pm #68030
Welcome to the Security Center Forum,
It appears that your computer is infected with a potentially unwanted program, or PUP. WinRouteD.exe is a process associated with a potentially unwanted program named Online Ad Scanner.
The WinRouteD.exe process uses a high amount of system resources because it will continuously connect to multiple websites in order to collect traffic information in your area. This is what can cause your computer to become slow and sluggish.
In order to completely remove the infection from your computer please follow these instructions:
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
Once you have completed the instructions, please let me know. Good luck!July 19, 2016 at 9:19 pm #68031
Awesome! Thank you so much!
I was able to remove the program and other viruses on my computer with the free programs! I was almost about to pay another website to do it I am so happy. Thank you!
If you would like me to post scan logs here just let me know. I saved them.July 19, 2016 at 9:23 pm #68032
We are glad that you were able to remove this infection from your computer. Posting your logs will not be necessary.
If you have any other issues in the future please feel free to return to this forum and post your concerns.