How to remove FlashControl (Virus Removal Guide)
How to remove FlashControl (Virus Removal Guide)
FlashControl (also searched for as FlashControl virus or Flash Control) is the name of a potentially unwanted program, or PUP, and browser extension that can sneak its way onto your computer and affected internet browsers. FlashControl is primarily used to read and change internet browser settings and data on all the websites you visit. It can also manage and control your apps, extensions, and themes.
If you find a program named FlashControl installed on your computer or attached to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or Apple Safari as a browser add-on and extension you will likely experience one of the following:
- FlashControl injects the webpages you visit with advertisements, including generic pop-up ads, generic banner style ads, and in-text advertisements.
- FlashControl changes your existing internet browser settings, including the home page and default search engine. This causes affected internet browsers to star-up on and redirect to sponsored webpages.
What is FlashControl?
FlashControl does not have a legitimate description provided by the program author or third-party downloaders that promote it. However, similar adware type programs and browser hijackers are usually advertised as free web shopping companions and web utilities that can help you find online coupons and deals.
Potential FlashControl malware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by FlashControl are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
FlashControl adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove FlashControl if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
FlashControl and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. FlashControl is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that FlashControl adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”FlashControl overview”]
- FlashControl bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- FlashControl is usually included inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- FlashControl injects the webpages you visit with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- FlashControl changes existing internet browser settings, which causes affected internet browsers to redirect to sponsored webpages.
- FlashControl makes unwanted changes to existing Windows operating system settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program finds that it has been disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove FlashControl
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove FlashControl virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove FlashControl
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove FlashControl virus with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “FlashControl” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing FlashControl we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove FlashControl.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove FlashControl
How to uninstall FlashControl
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for FlashControl in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click FlashControl to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find FlashControl in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove FlashControl below.[/note]
How to remove FlashControl add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the FlashControl extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the FlashControl add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the FlashControl extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find FlashControl in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove FlashControl below.[/note]
FlashControl virus removal tips
- If you do not find FlashControl in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing FlashControl you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411