What is Facebook UnfriendApp (Unfriend App)?
The Facebook UnfriendApp (Facebook Unfriend Application), otherwise known as the Unfriend App, or even mistakenly as the UnfriendApp virus or Unfriend App virus is essentially potential malware, categorized as a combination of adware and browser hijacker. The Facebook UnfriendApp has been reported to display pop-up advertisements, as well as unethical pop-under advertisements which pop-up under an opened browser window and are often noticed when the internet user closes the primary browser window. Pop-under and pop-up ads related to UnfriendApp may contain links to dangerous websites and software, including rogue software and unethical phishing websites such as update91.com.
The UnfriendApp has also been reported to change existing internet browser settings without consent or direct permission of the computer user. Facebook Unfriend App malware may change the home page, default search engine, and other browser settings, as well as browser shortcuts, and Facebook settings, often invading the privacy of Facebook users and spamming on behalf of the Facebook user without direct consent.
The Facebook UnfriendApp has been reported on many websites as a legitimate tool, but these websites though informative in other subjects, are not security websites (Mashable.com article), and have fallen for the initial scam themselves. If you have visited such an article you will notice it has either been pulled, updated to indicate that UnfriendApp may be malicious, or bombarded by negative and legitimate comments from unhappy UnfriendApp users. The UnfriendApp website has been assumed to have pulled the Facebook UnfriendApp from their websites with a note stating “Sit tight while we improve UnfriendApp for you. We are currently working on UnfriendApp. Please check back in a couple days for a fantastic, new version of UnfriendApp.”
The Facebook UnfriendApp is not associated with Facebook in any way.
Is UnfriendApp safe to download and use?
Even though the Facebook Unfriend Application can be downloaded from a variety of sources including UnfriendApp.com The Facebook UnfriendApp is not safe to download and use for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity, the invasion of privacy, and entrapment. UnfriendApp developers have also had public controversial bits of being dishonest to the media. Furthermore many UnfriendApp users have complained about UnfriendApp being difficult to uninstall, as well as having problems removing the UnfriendApp add-on and extension and third-party browser attachments.
The UnfriendApp app engages in social engineering by promising to be a legitimate Facebook application and browser attachment (add-on and extension) that provides a way to let you know who unfriends you on Facebook, but does so in order to entrap victims to terms they would never agree with if presented with in a proper manner, which may include the additional installment of malware, or the non disclosure of bundled software including third-party adware platforms.
How to remove Facebook UnfriendApp
- Automatically remove UnfriendApp – Scan for and automatically remove malware
- Manually remove UnfriendApp – Remove UnfriendApp and third-party malware
1. Automatic removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove UnfriendApp and third-party malware, as well as automatically repair and optimize browser and system settings if needed.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, and uninstall stubborn UnfriendApp software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, run the program and follow the steps below as necessary. Please note, CCleaner allows you to manually select options and will not ruin any existing system settings.
3. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
4. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
5. To automatically uninstall UnfriendApp, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the Facebook Unfriend Application in the list of installed programs. Double click UnfriendApp to uninstall the program.
2. Manual removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall UnfriendApp using generic removal procedures.
How to uninstall UnfriendApp malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for UnfriendApp and additional software. Once located, double click the UnfriendApp program or highlight it (select) in the list and click the Uninstall button. Please note, it may be necessary to remove third-party software to stop being affected by Facebook UnfriendApp and vice versa.
How to remove the UnfriendApp add-on and extension
Use the instructions to remove UnfriendApp and third-party add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the UnfriendApp extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the UnfriendApp add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the UnfriendApp add-on and remove it if located.