How to Block Eyeserp.com Referrals in Google Analytics
What is Eyeserp.com?
Eyeserp.com is a questionable website used to monitor web traffic. Lately, the website began to utilize an unethical marketing practice known as referrer spam. This method allows the website to essentially promote their services to people familiar with Google Analytics despite the hazards it will cause their Google Analytics data.
The spammer will utilize various tactics in order to make it look like your website received referral traffic from Eyeserp.com even though it really did not. This type of web traffic is a specific type of web traffic known as “ghost traffic.” The spammer essentially sends phantom visitors to your website’s Google Analytics account in order to make it appear as if someone visited your website from the referral URL.
Referrer spammers usually target your website’s data for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Referrer spam is not harmful to your website, your server speed, bandwidth, ranking on search results pages, SEO, or anything like that. However, it can ruin your website’s Google Analytics data and that is why it is recommended to block it.
Create an Exclude Filter
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab> Click Filters on the right side in the VIEW section.
2. Click the + ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add Eyeserp.com or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add Eyeserp.com and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple URLs to the same filter you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this with a | between each URL: Example.com | Example\.com | Eyeserp.com