DriverUpdaterPro by oTweak Software, LLC is recognized as a malicious and dangerous program by various reputable sources. The program is detected and removed by many Antivirus and Anti-Malware products, such as Norton Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. In addition, the DriverUpdaterPro.exe file used to launch the program’s installer is detected as malware, a trojan, and unwanted program by multiple sources. The detection name that Symantec gives the executable file is Trojan.Gen.2.
A major concern with the DriverUpdaterPro program is that it is usually advertised as a free program (freeware) that can help users locate and update outdated drivers; However, the program is not free to use. The program will only scan a computer for alleged out-of-date and missing drivers. The scan will return several results that will claim multiple drivers need to be installed or updated. Once a user clicks the appropriate button to install or update the alleged outdated driver they will be directed through a series of webpages that attempt to persuade users to purchase the program and other programs by the same publisher.
The program is recognized as malware by many sources. It also known to bundle with and arrive on a machine alongside third-party malware and other threats depending on where and how it was installed.
DriverUpdaterPro Distribution Method
DriverUpdaterPro malware can be manually downloaded and installed by the user. The program also bundles with other objects that are downloaded by the user. The most common way this happens is by downloading a third-party program or file from a questionable website. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site it can lead to a computer infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, DriverUpdaterPro malware might have automatically downloaded in the background without disclosure. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update or something else. Malicious publishers sometimes hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances DriverUpdaterPro may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
|Names||DriverUpdaterPro, DriverUpdaterPro virus|
|Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP), Malware, Scareware, Rogue Program, Trojan|
|Symptoms||Decreased computer functionality and performance
Decreased internet speed and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Path||C:\Program Files (x86)|
How to remove DriverUpdaterPro
The DriverUpdaterPro removal instructions on this page show you how to remove DriverUpdaterPro, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall DriverUpdaterPro and unwanted programs
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall DriverUpdaterPro and unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for DriverUpdaterPro Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled DriverUpdaterPro, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.