How to remove DriverFinder (Removal Guide)
DriverFinder by DeskToolsSoft is a driver updating program for the Windows operating system that claims to “prevent mismatched drivers which can cause serious problems for your computer.” The program is often distributed by alleged third-parties who possibly utilize deceptive and misleading advertisements. Some advertisements which may confuse internet users claim that “current drivers on Windows may be out of date” or that the program is free; However, the program is only free to download. A user must register and pay semi-annually for the program to actually update drivers (which is free to do and usually automatic for all Windows operating systems in the first place). Alleged third-party DriverFinder advertisements are commonly found on media related websites such as video streaming websites and torrenting websites, as well as others. The program may also be offered as a bundle or custom install alongside third-party programs including adware, potentially unwanted programs, and malware.
When this program was installed via an alleged third-party software bundler various threats were introduced to the test machine which were detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software including the file used to execute the installation.
|Name(s)||DriverFinder, DriverFinder virus *This program is not a computer virus|
|Publisher Description||DriverFinder prevents mismatched drivers which can cause serious problems for your computer. You need a tool that is laser-specific with it’s driver software recommendations. DriverFinder finds the latest matching Windows drivers for your computer. Don’t run old drivers that could harm or slow down your PC experience.|
|Third-Party Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Third-Party Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Third-Party Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
DriverFinder Removal Guide
This DriverFinder removal guide includes steps to completely remove DriverFinder, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall DriverFinder and unwanted programs
- Remove DriverFinder and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this program is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this program is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall DriverFinder and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this program is to uninstall DriverFinder and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for DriverFinder in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled DriverFinder search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove DriverFinder and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove this program is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this program is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.