Driver Assist (Driver Assist by SafeBytes Antivirus, Driver Assist virus) is a potentially unwanted program in the scareware category of possible computer threats that is technically the same exact program as Driver Manager by the same publisher. Aside from being considered a misleading or non-beneficial program, potential Driver Assist malware is known to infiltrate a computer system without direct user consent, install third-party programs, severe pop-up advertisements, and cause other issues for computer and internet users.
Once potential Driver Assist malware is installed the program may begin to scan a computer for outdated programs and drivers. It will then generate a pop-up message on Windows desktop stating that drivers are outdated and must be updated. If a user is to use Driver Assist to update drivers they will need to forfeit their personal information, including full name and email address in order to activate the program or purchase the program. Driver Assist will not update anything without phishing for user information first. It should be noted that updates are automatic on Windows operating systems, therefor Driver Assist adds absolutely no value to a computer.
Furthermore, webpages to promote the Driver Assist virus (although this program is not defined as a computer virus) are entirely misleading and dishonest. For example,
https://secure.safebytes.com/driverassist/8/register/# will claim that anyone who visits the webpage has out of date drivers and will state that the recommended action is to complete the registration process to activate Driver Assist in order to update out of date drivers it allegedly “found on your PC.” This message will occur even if a computer system has fully updated drivers and programs. This type of misleading advertising will soon be illegal on the internet and businesses such as SafeBytes will be fully prosecuted by the law. The FTC will also restrict businesses like this from operating in countries such as the United States.
How to remove Driver Assist
This Driver Assist removal guide will help you completely remove the Driver Assist virus, other unwanted programs, additional malware, and get rid of ads by Driver Assist on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. If you need assistance removing this infection please call our toll free number at 1-888-879-0084.
- Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
- Step 3: Uninstall Driver Assist
- Step 4: Remove Driver Assist browser attachments
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing Driver Assist. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Driver Assist by SafeBytes using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Uninstall Driver Assist
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section (If you are using Windows 8 you will bypass the Control Panel).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Driver Assist by SafeBytes. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. Repeat the steps to remove additional unwanted programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Remove Driver Assist browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Driver Assist extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Driver Assist add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Driver Assist add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.