How to disable your name in the Google Chrome avatar menu
By default new versions of Google Chrome will display your username on the top right of an open browser window. This is known as the avatar menu. Many Google Chrome users have found this to be a nuisance. Fortunately, there are a few ways to disable the the new avatar menu and remove your name from the top right corner of an open Chrome browser window.
This guide will help you remove your name from the Google Chrome avatar menu by disabling the new avatar menu option (–disable-new-avatar-menu) or using the old flags options.
The best way to disable the new avatar menu is to add: –disable-new-avatar-menu to the target field to the Google Chrome shortcut on your computer.
1. Locate the Google Chrome shortcut on your computer. This can usually be found here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome
2. Right click the Google Chrome icon and go to Properties.
3. In the Shortcut tab find the target field and copy and paste –disable-new-avatar-menu at the end of the current target. On my computer this looks like this: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” –disable-new-avatar-menu
4. Click Apply and Ok, then launch Google Chrome. In some cases you may need to restart Chrome a few times before your name is removed from the top right of the internet browser window.
There are a few other options to remove your name from the top right browser window of Google Chrome; However, they do not seem to be working anymore after a few Chrome updates.
1. Type in chrome://flags into the address bar.
2. Search the page for Enable new profile management system. You can type Ctrl+F to open a search field at the top of the open window.
3. Change the drop-down menu to Disabled and click the Relaunch Now button that appears.
To get the old view back follow these instructions:
1. Type in chrome://flags into the URL bar.
2. Search for Enable the new avatar menu.
3. Change the drop-down to Disabled and click the Relaunch Now button that appears.