How to remove CPU Miner (Virus Removal Guide)
A CPU Miner (also known as CPUMiner, riskware.cpuminer, trojan.cpuminer) is a special type of software used to steal a certain number of crypto-currency or Bitcoins. Bitcoin is a peer to peer network and online currency without a central government like other currency. The CPU Miner virus usually infects a comptuer system without user knowledge and can cause several issues for computer and internet users.
Aside from stealing currency, CPU Miner bundles with other malicious files and potentially unwanted programs. Items that bundle with the CPU Miner virus can gather personal data, change browser and system settings, and serve pop-up advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. CPU Miner can also cause a decrease in computer performance and internet connectivity. On our test machine, the malicious program used 95% CPU while running in the background.
The CPU Miner virus uses hidden and deceptive files to remain hidden on a computer system. Most computer users will are not aware that they are infected with a CPU Miner virus unless they are using Antivirus or Anti-Malware software with real-time protection.
How does CPU Miner get onto a computer?
There are many ways that CPU Miner malware can get onto a computer. During our examination, cpuminer was introduced to our test machine via torrent downloads that promised to be a popular television show. The torrent was downloaded from a popular torrent website and the file it downloaded was called USER.exe and minerd.exe. CPU Miner was also introduced to our computer system alongside backdoor trojan horses.
CPU Miner can also be contracted via email attachments, malicious links, and alongside third-party downloadable items, including freeware, shareware, and more.
In many cases a website may host CPU Miner and the malicious program will automatically download without user consent.
How to remove CPU Miner (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove CPU Miner malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-866-521-2427
Step 1: Remove CPU Miner malware with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.Download CCleaner Free Buy Professional Now
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.