How to remove Convert Box (Virus Removal Guide)
How to remove Convert Box (Virus Removal Guide)
Convert Box (also searched for as Convert Box virus or ConvertBox) is a browser add-on and extension for popular internet browsers including Google Chrome. The Convert Box extension has a decent amount of users; However, the browser extension is often promoted by potentially malicious advertising platforms on malicious websites and suspicious software bundlers and download managers associated with freeware and dubious applications. This means that Convert Box might attach to your internet browser without your consent or knowledge and alongside third-party potentially unwanted programs, adware type programs, and malware. Once the Convert Box extension has attached to your internet browser it will replace existing internet browser settings including the homepage, new tab, and default search engine. In turn, Convert Box will cause affected internet browsers to redirect to sponsored websites such as search.ask.com.
What is Convert Box?
ConvertBox is self-promoted as “your one-stop-shop for quick and easy converting.” The extension claims that you can c”convert anything including video clips, text documents, or currencies.”
Aside from causing browser redirects to ask.com and other websites, the Convert Box extension and adware it may bundle with or be promoted with generate deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. The ads are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
Convert Box adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Convert Box if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did Convert Box get on my computer?
Convert Box and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Convert Box is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Convert Box adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”Convert Box overview”]
- Convert Box bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Convert Box is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- Convert Box injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- Convert Box makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
- The Convert Box extension for Google Chrome can read and change your data on the websites you visit.
- The Convert Box extension for Google Chrome can manage your apps, themes, and extensions.
How to remove Convert Box virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove Convert Box virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove Convert Box
Option 1: Automatically remove Convert Box virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download “Convert Box” removal tool
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Convert Box we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Convert Box.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove Convert Box
How to uninstall Convert Box
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Convert Box in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Convert Box to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Convert Box in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Convert Box below.[/note]
How to remove Convert Box add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Convert Box extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Convert Box add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Convert Box extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Convert Box in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Convert Box below.[/note]
Convert Box virus removal tips
- If you do not find Convert Box in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Convert Box you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.