How to remove ControlThis (Virus Removal Guide)
ControlThis virus (Control This virus) is a term frequently used to identify an ad-supported website filtering application that reputable security programs have included in the adware category of generic computer threats. ControlThis ads arrive in different forms. They can be delivered as generic banners and skyscrapers, in-text ads, pop-up ads, and pop-under ads. Ads by ControlThis are also served across multiple internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
ControlThis adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove ControlThis if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
What is ControlThis?
“ControlThis” is promoted as an advertisement-supported website filtering application that can be used to block access to millions of inappropriate websites such as pornography, gambling, violence, racism, etc.
[fancy_box title=”ControlThis overview”]
- ControlThis bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- ControlThis is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- ControlThis injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- ControlThis makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove ControlThis (Removal)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove ControlThis with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove ControlThis
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove ControlThis with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “ControlThis” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing ControlThis we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove ControlThis.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove ControlThis
How to uninstall ControlThis
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for ControlThis in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click ControlThis to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find ControlThis in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove ControlThis below.[/note]
How to remove ControlThis add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the ControlThis extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the ControlThis add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the ControlThis extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find ControlThis in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove ControlThis below.[/note]
Tips to remove ControlThis
- If you do not find ControlThis in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing ControlThis you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411