How to remove Chrome Update (Virus Removal Guide)
CHROME UPDATE VIRUS
Chrome Update virus (also found as chromeupdate.exe virus) is a very broad term used to identify several different types of computer and internet security threats. The term Chrome Update virus covers potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and malware mostly found in the adware or browser hijacker categories of computer and internet threats. In most cases an executable file titled chromeupdate.exe will install to a victim’s computer and users will notice unwanted advertisements, browser redirects to suspicious websites, and suspicious programs installed if affected by this infection.
The chromeupdate.exe file is usually downloaded to a computer system through dubious and questionable advertisements; some that may initiate an automatic install without direct user consent or knowledge. Most of the time the executable file is promoted on media related websites, as a video codec, a driver update program, or simply an update to the Google Chrome browser. Some dishonest advertisements used to promote Chrome Update may claim that an update is needed for the Google Chrome browse or that “Your browser Google Chrome is out-of-date;” However, the update is not genuine and the Google Chrome browser updates automatically.
If you find the chromeupdate.exe file on your computer it is likely that you have an adware, browser hijacker, spyware, or scareware threat. The programs that associate with this file usually get onto a computer system without direct user consent or by utilizing misleading advertisements that trick users into installing the unwanted programs. Such programs include rogue video or media players, rogue computer and internet security products, generic adware, and especially rogue browser and driver update programs and system optimizers. These programs will usually have permission to access a large amount of user browsing data for marketing purposes, as well as system information and personally identifiable information.
If you find chromeupdate.exe on your computer or feel you have been infected with what is known as the Chrome Update virus you will need to uninstall unwanted programs and remove browser attachments before you can repair corrupted settings. Furthermore, it is recommended to use reputable Anti-Malware products to eradicate any malicious files associated with potential Chrome Update malware.
Chromeupdate.exe is only an executable file. It is used to install unwanted programs but does not provide a threat itself unless initiated by the user or automatic install process depending on the point of contraction. You can simply remove chromeupdate.exe by moving it to your recycle bin unless the file does not permit you to. Chromeupdate.exe may also refer to a process or service that will run, use system resources, and automatically install software. You can end this process in your Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc).
HOW TO REMOVE CHROME UPDATE VIRUS
This Chrome Update removal guide provides 4 easy steps to remove the Chrome Update virus to get rid of ads by Chrome Update on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, as well as to remove chromeupdate.exe, associated malware, and unwanted programs.
STEP 1: SCAN YOUR COMPUTER FOR MALWARE
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
STEP 2: CLEAN UP AND REPAIR SETTINGS
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings that have been changed during this infection. It can also fix system startup up settings and help uninstall unwanted software.
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted software, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
STEP 3: UNINSTALL CHROME UPDATE
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section (If you are using Windows 8 you will bypass the Control Panel).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for software titled Chrome Update. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program.
STEP 4: REMOVE CHROME UPDATE BROWSER ATTACHMENTS
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Chrome Update extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Chrome Update add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Chrome Update add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. If the button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.