How to remove BrowserSafeguard (Virus Removal Guide)
What is BrowserSafeguard?
BrowserSafeguard is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that claims to improve your internet security. The program is promoted as an advertisement-supported security suite that “protects your browser from malicious sites by checking that every URL you visit is not in our list of phishing and malware sites.”
Once BrowserSafeguard is installed it will display advertisements while you browse the web and show pop-up notification messages on Windows desktop that promote other entities.
BrowserSafeguard uses a lot of tricks to try to get users to purchase a subscription that will automatically renew at unknown times. It tries to trick users into also purchasing a subscription to other programs. It uses scare mongering tactics to trick users into activating it. And, it also utilizes deceptive marketing tactics via the way they advertise their product online.
One of the biggest concerns with the BrowserSafeguard program is that it is typically advertised by questionable advertising networks and on websites that also promote malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats. This means that if you found the BrowserSafeguard program installed without your consent it is likely that your computer is infected with other malicious programs.
This program is not trustworthy and I recommend to remove it immediately.
How was BrowserSafeguard installed?
The BrowserSafeguard PUP is acknowledged to use aggressive and unethical advertisements on various websites that are not allowed to show legitimate advertisements due to their prohibited content. Websites that contain streaming videos, torrents, pornography, and live streams often utilize malicious advertising networks in order to generate revenue.
The program also has the possibility to be installed by a third-party downloader or software bundler without user consent or knowledge. If you recently downloaded and installed freeware or free content online the program may have been installed in the background by a third-party program.
The program cannot be downloaded from browsersafeguard.com; However, you can purchase the program from a webpage on the website.
BrowserSafeguard removal steps
The BrowserSafeguard removal steps on this page explain how to remove BrowserSafeguard, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
1. Uninstall the program
- Open Windows Start Menu by right clicking the bottom left of the task bar. *In Windows 7 and before, go to the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Find BrowserSafeguard in the list of installed programs, select it with your mouse, and click the Uninstall button to begin the removal process.
2. Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe or other) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
3. Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
4. Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.