Block Stablehost.com Referral in Google Analytics
Several web hosting companies such as Hostgator.com, Siteground.com, Stablehost.com, and others are under attack by referrer spammers who have been spamming their websites across the globe in order to harm their reputation. Stablehost; a well established web hosting company is one of them. In this case, a third-party is making it look like stablehost.com referral traffic has landed on your website.
Referrer spam a blackhat SEO tactic known as referrer spam. Stablehost.com referrer spammers target your Google Analytics account and will mix fraudulent data into your website reports. By doing this your Google Analytics reports may become ruined by useless data and traffic.
The good thing is that stablehost.com referral traffic cannot harm your website or your website’s rank in Google search results pages. However, in some cases, referrer spam from bots and crawlers can use your bandwidth and create backlinks in your website’s access logs, but this is not the case with stablehost.com referral traffic since it utilizes ghost traffic to create faux data in your analytical reports that never actually lands on your website.
Stablehost.com referral traffic can be a bad thing if you value your website’s appropriate and real data. If value your website’s data you will want to block stablehost.com referral spam from mixing into your website’s analytical data before it gets out-of-control. For example, the stablehost.com referral typically “lands” on a single webpage on your website and leave your website from the same webpage. This creates a 100% bounce rate and if this happens multiple times per day it can be catastrophic for your real bounce rate. This is not the only data affected by stablehost.com referral spam. Data that this domain name and referrer spam from other spam URLs such as website-analyzer.info can affect includes pretty much every detail measured in Google Analytics Audience, Acquisition, Behavior, and Conversions reports.
Referrer spammers in general target the referral traffic of your website for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Block stablehost.com referral traffic in Google Analytics
This guide shows you how to block stablehost.com referrals in Google Analytics with a filter that stops stablehost.com referrer spam at the campaign source.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab and click All Filters.
2. Click the ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add stablehost.com or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add stablehost.com and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple URLs to the same filter you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this with a | between each URL: example.com | stablehost.com