How to block referrals from onlinetvseries.me in Google Analytics
If you notice referrals from onlinetvseries.me mixed into your Google Analytics data it means that your data is being targeted by spammers. This type of spam is known as referrer spam and it can make quite a mess of your Google Analytics data.
Referral traffic from onlinetvseries.me does not actually land on your website. It sets aim at your Google Analytics ID at random and fills your Google Analytics data with deceptive referral traffic – and even direct traffic and keywords. This is called ghost traffic since it never sets foot on your website. Ghost traffic is different than bot or spider traffic because it will not use up your website’s bandwidth or other resources, which is essentially a good thing aside from the fact that a spammer has set their eyes on your analytical data.
Onlinetvseries.me referrer spam and referrer spam from other well known spam URLs such as googlemare.com is a big issue and hot topic of discussion for many SEO bloggers, webmasters, website owners, and anyone who values their website’s appropriate data. Unwanted onlinetvseries.me referrals and referrer spam in general can ruin your website’s analytical data. For example, the spam URLs usually “appear” to land on a single webpage on your website and leave from the same webpage. This will create a 100% bounce rate and if the spam URLs hit your website multiple times per day your bounce rate can skyrocket. This is not the only Google Analytics data that onlinetvseries.me referrals can ruin. It can essentially mix deceptive data into everything measured in custom Audience, Acquisition, Conversions, and Behavior reports.
What is onlinetvseries.me?
Onlinetvseries.me is a referrer spam URL and a website that contains links to streaming videos from third-party websites such as gorillavid, daclips, movpod, videoweed, sharepro, movshare, and more. The website is poorly designed and hard to use due to the floating header. Furthermore, the links on the website can direct you to websites that host malware or contain deceptive advertisements that promote rogue programs as most streaming online video websites do.
Referrer spammers target the referral traffic of your website for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank in Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. Referrer spammers do this by logging site requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Ghost traffic is not essentially harmful to your website and your website’s appearance in Google search results pages. It’s really just a nuisance; However, your data can be ruined by ghost traffic if you do not take the effort to filter it out.
When looking for solutions to block referrer traffic avoid websites that want you to purchase a service allowing them access to your Google Analytics account. It is unnecessary to handover your personal information to block referrer spam and blocking referrer spam is simple enough to do yourself.
How to create an exclude filter in Google Analytics
This guide shows you how to block referrals from onlinetvseries.me in Google Analytics by creating an exclude filter to stop onlinetvseries.me referrer spam at the source.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab and click All Filters.
2. Click the ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add onlinetvseries.me or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add onlinetvseries.me and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple referer spam URLs you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this: example.com | onlinetvseries.me