How to block FanDuel ads in your browser
FanDuel advertisements can be a nuisance for many internet users. They can appear out of nowhere and basically bombard you while you browse the web. The FanDuel website and service they provide is not malicious; However, FanDuel practically advertises itself everywhere from broadcast commercials to sports ballparks, and they utilize very aggressive marketing tactics which include advertising on harmful websites and allowing third-party ad-serving platforms and adware to generate FanDuel pop-up and pop-under ads.
The primary FanDuel advertisement form is the pop-under advertisement. Pop-under ads are advertisements that open a new webpage or tab on your web browser. The advertisements typically redirect users to fanduel.com in a new browser window; However, users may also simply redirect to fanduel.com from the current webpage they are viewing.
Many suspicious websites embed an ad-serving platform which includes FanDuel ads. Torrent websites, streaming video websites, pornography websites, gambling websites, and other websites that usually maintain a NSFW or 18+ warning often generate FanDuel ads when you land on them or click somewhere on the webpage. These advertisements are not harmful and they do not mean that your computer is infected with adware. They are simply included into the advertising platform which was embedded by the website owner.
There are also potentially unwanted programs and adware that serve FanDuel ads. These unwanted programs and adware take advantage of the FanDuel affiliate system to generate commission from new customers.
Like DraftKings, FanDuel is a daily and weekly fantasy sports service that allows customers to earn money based on individual player performances in five major American sports (MLB, theNHL, the NFL, the NBA and the PGA) and others. As previously stated, FanDuel is not malicious. They are a legitimate service. However, they do utilize aggressive marketing tactics that can be very annoying for internet users.
There are two common methods to block FanDuel advertisements in your web browser. The first option is to use a free browser add-on or extension that automatically blocks FanDuel ads. The second option is to remove adware and other threats from your computer that may produce FanDuel advertisements.
Options to block FanDuel ads
- Option 1: Block FanDuel advertisements with browser attachments
- Option 2: Remove adware from your computer
Option 1: Block FanDuel advertisements with browser attachments
Block an ad by its URL (AdBlock)
1. Install Ad Block: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
2. Once installed, to block FanDuel ads, right click the Ad Block icon and select “options“
3. Navigate to the “Customize” tab and select “Block an ad by its URL” – In the domain of page to apply section enter: “fanduel.com“
A great extension to block FanDuel advertisements in Mozilla Firefox is Adblock Plus.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Blocking ad-serving websites on Internet Explorer can easily be accomplished without the use of third party extensions and utilities.
1. Access: Tools(Alt-x) > Internet Options > Security > Restricted sites
2. Click the “Sites” button and enter: http://fanduel.com
Option 2: Remove Adware from your computer
Some FanDuel ads are generated by adware and unwanted programs. These steps will help you remove “FanDuel adware” and other threats from your computer.
Step 1: Uninstall Adware from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall Adware from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find Adware installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select the unwanted with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled the program look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove ad-serving browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove add-ons and extensions that serve advertisements and associate with adware. If you do not find unwanted attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwnated extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove Adware with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove adware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove Adware with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove adware with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
After you have performed each step adware should be completely removed from your computer. If you are still having issues call us at 1-866-521-2427 and we’ll help you remove the infection.