How to remove Astromenda Search (Virus Removal Guide)
What is Astromenda Search?
Astromenda Search (Astromenda.com) is a questionable search engine that has been reported to hijack Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Once potential Astromenda Search malware is installed, affected internet browsers will redirect to and start-up on Astromenda.com, search.yahoo.com, and other websites. This is why programs used to promote Astromenda Search are found in the browser hijacker category of computer threats.
Many internet users also claim that Astromenda Search and Astromenda.com will not go away with ease. The programs used to promote the search engine will continuously cause affected internet browsers to redirect to Astromenda.com and other websites when users open a new browser window, open a new browser tab, or search the web using the browser address bar.
Furthermore, browser helper objects, add-ons, and extensions used to promote the Astromenda Search virus (although not technically defined as a computer virus) may have permission to access, collect, control, read, and modify existing Internet browser settings. This means that not only can potential Astromenda Search malware change the homepage, browser shortcut, and default search engine of affected internet browsers, but Astromenda Search and associated programs can be used for a variety of marketing purposes by gathering all of a user’s browsing activities.
How to remove Astromenda Search
This Astromenda Search removal guide will help you completely remove Astromenda Search virus (Astromenda.com) and other malware from your computer to stop unwanted browser redirects to Astromenda.com and other websites. Follow each step below to completely get rid of this infection and repair damaged settings.
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Clean up and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface. This will clean up unnecessary junk that may have been introduced to your computer.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.
Step 3: Uninstall Astromenda Search
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Astromenda Search (or similar). Once the program is located, double click it or select the program in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 4: Remove Astromenda Search browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Astromenda Search extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Astromenda Search add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Astromenda Search add-on, click it, and click the Remove button.
Step 5: Remove Astromenda.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Astromenda Search search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Astromenda Search search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Astromenda Search search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.astromenda.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
Step 6: Remove Astromenda.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Astromenda Search.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Astromenda Search.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Astromenda Search.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.