Akamaihd.net is a website that hijacks your internet browser’s homepage, new tab setting, and default search engine. Once this occurs, your internet browser will start-up on a akamaihd.net webpage and you will be redirected to a akamaihd.net webpage when you open a new browser tab or search the web using your browser’s address bar.
Redirects to akamaihd.net will also direct you to third-party webpages such as search.yahoo.com. For example, you may find that akamaihd.net has taken over your browser’s default search engine and will notice your browser start-up on akamaihd.net; However, the browser will soon redirect to another webpage from the initial akamaihd.net webpage. This website normally forwards users to a different website altogether.
There are many potentially unwanted programs and browser add-ons and extensions that utilize the akamaihd.net website. A common program that will change your browser settings to this web address includes Search Quick Know and programs like it. These programs also bundle with other threats which means that if you are affected by a akamaihd.net redirect you may be at risk and can also experience other unwanted symptoms.
- Advertisements in the web browser
- Browser redirects to akamaihd.net
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Decreased internet connectivity, functionality, and performance
- Bundled PUPs and malware
Programs and other threats used to promote the akamaihd.net website often gain access to a computer they infect without user consent or knowledge. They may also utilize deceptive marketing tactics and advertisements which claim the programs are something they are not.
How to remove akamaihd.net
In order to remove akamaihd.net you must complete a few steps. Simply removing the programs is not enough to remove akamaihd.net from your browser and the malicious files that it bundles with. The settings must be manually adjusted. It is also very highly recommended to scan your computer for malware to eradicate any existing threats that can put your personal information at risk and cause additional issues.
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove Akamaihd.net search engine
- Step 4: Remove Akamaihd.net homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
The first step to remove this browser hijacker is to uninstall all potentially unwanted programs from your computer. If you cannot find a program to uninstall move onto the next step.
1. Go to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program) in the Programs section.
3. The Programs and Features window will open. This window contains a list of programs installed on your computer. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click it to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall). To sort programs that were recently installed on your computer click the “Installed On” tab. This makes it easier to identify problematic programs that may have been contracted around the same time you started to notice symptoms of this infection.
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
The second step to remove this browser hijacker is to remove browser add-ons and extensions that can change your browser settings. If you cannot locate any unwanted extensions move onto the next step.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons and click Remove next to each one.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons, select one individually with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the Uninstall button next to each one.
Step 3: Remove Akamaihd.net search engine
The third step to remove this browser hijacker is to manually remove the search engine from your browser. In some cases, this will be unnecessary because uninstalling the associated program and/or removing the associated browser attachment may automatically disable this setting and change it back to how it was before.
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Akamaihd.net search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Akamaihd.net search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Akamaihd.net search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove Akamaihd.net homepage
The fourth step to remove this browser hijacker is to manually remove the search engine from your homepage. This also could be unnecessary because uninstalling the associated program and/or removing the associated browser attachment may automatically disable this setting and change it back to how it was before.
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Akamaihd.net from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Akamaihd.net from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Akamaihd.net and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
The fifth step to remove this browser hijacker is to scan your computer and remove detections with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. This will locate and eradicate any existing malicious and potentially malicious files from your computer.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
The sixth step to remove this browser hijacker is to cleanup and repair settings on your computer and browser with CCleaner by Piriform. This will help get rid of junk files, registry entries, and disable features set by this hijacker and potential threats it may bundle with.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
If you are still having issues with malware it is recommended to download and install a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro by Surfright to remove leftover files and automatically repair corrupted settings.