How to remove WD (Virus Removal Guide)
Your computer has a problem if you see ads by WD while browsing the web. WD ads are caused by potentially unwanted programs (PUP) and adware. They can be generated by a variety of programs; However, ads by WD are usually associated with Wordinator adware. This adware is very deceptive and intrusive. It can infiltrate a computer system and internet browsers that it affects without user knowledge and display pop-up advertisements that often say “Ads by WD” or “brought by WD” on them across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
What is WD?
WD does not have a legitimate description from the author; However, programs and browser add-ons and extensions similar to it are often promoted by third-party freeware and download managers as a bundled web shopping assistant or web utility program that help help internet users find coupons and deals.
WD adware generates deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by WD are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
WD adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove WD if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did WD get on my computer?
WD and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. WD is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that WD adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”WD overview”]
- WD bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- WD is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- WD injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- WD makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove WD virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove WD virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove WD
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove WD virus with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “WD” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing WD we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove WD.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove WD
How to uninstall WD
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for WD in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click WD to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WD in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WD below.[/note]
How to remove WD add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WD extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the WD add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the WD extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WD in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WD below.[/note]
WD virus removal tips
- If you do not find WD in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing WD you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411