How to remove “About this ad” (Virus Removal Guide)
Advertisements that say “About this ad” on them are produced by different types of adware from different adware publishers and platforms. If you notice ads that say “About this ad” on them while you browse the web your computer is infected with adware. This adware may also bundle with other unwanted programs and malware that can cause other issues and obtain your personal details.
|Name||About this ad, About this ad virus|
|Short Description||The adware is usually promoted as an online shopping assistant.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements in the web browser.|
|Distribution Method||This adware may bundle with freeware and dubious files.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool|
What is About this ad?
Adware that generates “About this ad” advertisements are usually promoted as free web shopping assistants that display coupons and deals for the products you search for and view online.
Here are two quotes from a common third-party adware policy regarding the type of information collected while using the add-on.
Collection of Non-personally Identifiable Information
→Non-personally identifiable information, which can be gathered by User’s use of this program (“Non-personal Information”). The actual identity of the User, from which the Non-personal Information is collected, is not known. Non-personal Information consists of technical information and aggregated usage information, and may contain, among other things, the User’s activity on this program, User’s operating system (…).
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information:
→Personally identifiable information is information that identifies an individual User, and may or may not be private or sensitive (“Personal Information”). Personal Information may consist of the User’s IP address or other persistent User identifier, which is unique to your device and assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and used primarily to improve the User’s experience and for geographic personalization and security purposes (…).
If personal details are collected by or shared with a third party, the user may be affected in several ways:
- Banking and credit card information may be accessible to unknown third-parties.
- Third party tracking technology may be applied to your internet browser.
- Excessive email spam, telephone calls from telemarketers and scam artists, and junk mail at home may occur.
Furthermore, adware is known to:
- Generate intrusive or suspicious advertisements that redirect to compromised and untrustworthy websites.
- Promote unwanted programs, malware, and rogue programs that affect the system’s performance by altering the Registry, Scheduler, and other existing system settings.
About this ad Removal Guide
Adware can often be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove “About this ad” adware and other threats using manual and automatic procedures.
Step 1: Uninstall adware from Windows
Follow the instructions to manually uninstall adware from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find adware installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for suspicious programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select the program with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears.
Step 2: Remove unwanted browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that it may bundle with from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find a About this ad attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files. To remove About this ad from Microsoft internet browsers you must uninstall the program.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove adware with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove About this ad adware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove adware with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove About this ad adware with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s start-up settings and Windows registry.
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.