How to block 2your.site referrer spam in Google Analytics
2your.site is one of the latest referrer spam domain names launched in the end of 2015. We are the first to discover this referrer spam URL. 2your.site referrer spam is designed to essentially attack your website’s Google Analytics data with deceptive and fraudulent referral traffic in order to gather your attention and provoke you to visit the website. 2your.site referrer spam usually has a long string attached to the domain like the build-a-better-business.2your.site URL. Each different URL on the 2your.site domain name will forward users to different websites. For example, build-a-better-business.2your.site forwards to ontraport.com when you punch the URL into your address bar.
2your.site referrer spam targets your website’s analytical data measured by Google Analytics and fills your website’s data with useless and fake data that can ultimately ruin your analytical reports. Referrer spam from 2your.site and other websites can have a negative outcome on your websites appropriate data. It can affect all Audience, Acquisition, Behavior, and Conversions reports provided by Google Analytics. A quick example of this is your bounce rate. 2your.site referrals typically “appear” to land on a single page on your website and leave from the same single page which will create a 100% bounce rate. If this continues multiple times per day your bounce rate can get out-of-hand and you can be victimized by fraudulent web data.
This is why it is important to many webmasters, website owners, and those who value their website’s appropriate data to block 2your.site referrer spam in Google Analytics. We explain how to block 2your.site referrer spam below by creating an exclude filter in Google Analytics. This is the method recommended by Google.
Referrer spammers target the referral traffic of your website for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
2your.site referrer spam is not entirely dangerous to your website like the way bad bots and spiders are. It will most likely not cause any trouble with how your website is accessed by your visitors or ranked by Google. However, in some cases referrer spam may use up your website’s bandwidth and CPU by creating multiple site requests to your website. In other cases, the spam URL is served to your analytical data by traffic bots which create ghost hits and never actually land on your website, which happens to be the case with this URL. They often target your GA ID number.
How to block 2your.site referrer spam
This guide shows you how to block 2your.site referrer spam in Google Analytics with a simple exclude filter that stops 2your.site referral traffic at the source.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab and click All Filters.
2. Click the ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add 2your.site or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add 2your.site and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple URLs to the same exclude filter you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this with a | between each URL: example.com | 2your.site