CleverSearch (also searched for as CleverSearch virus, Clever Search) is a adware we discovered that will likely cause many problems for computer and internet users in the future. CleverSearch adware is known to download and install in the background without your consent while you work on your computer. Once CleverSearch has finished downloading and installing it will display pop-up ads across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
CleverSearch adware displays a variety of advertisements styles that usually say “Ads by CleverSearch” or “brought by CleverSearch” on them. Advertisements it displays may appear as generic banners and pop-up ads. They can appear when you hover over underlined text on a webpage.
What is CleverSearch?
CleverSearch is advertised as free ad-supported software with labeled in-text, transitional, shopping, and image advertisements. It is usually promoted by third-party downloaders as a custom installation.
Potential CleverSearch malware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by CleverSearch are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
CleverSearch adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove CleverSearch if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did CleverSearch get on my computer?
CleverSearch and programs like it are oftenly contracted without knowledge. CleverSearch is usually bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that CleverSearch adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”CleverSearch overview”]
- CleverSearch bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- CleverSearch is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- CleverSearch injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- CleverSearch makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove CleverSearch virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
Option 1: Automatically remove CleverSearch virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “CleverSearch” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing CleverSearch we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove CleverSearch.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove CleverSearch
How to uninstall CleverSearch
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for CleverSearch in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click CleverSearch to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find CleverSearch in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove CleverSearch below.[/note]
How to remove CleverSearch add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the CleverSearch extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the CleverSearch add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the CleverSearch extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find CleverSearch in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove CleverSearch below.[/note]
CleverSearch virus removal tips
- If you do not find CleverSearch in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing CleverSearch you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.