StartCoup (also searched for as StartCoup virus and Start Coup) is an adware type potentially unwanted program (PUP) and browser plugin that is detected by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs, such as Symantec Norton, AVG, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. StartCoup is essentially an advertisement-injector program and browser plugin that injects the webpages you visit with targeted and deceptive advertisements. Ads displayed by this adware will usually say Ads by StartCoup or brought by StartCoup on them.
What is StartCoup?
StartCoup and adware like it are usually promoted as free web shopping companions and browser utilities that can help you find coupons and deals for the products you view and search for online.
Potential StartCoup malware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by StartCoup are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you and your current and past browsing habits.
StartCoup adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove StartCoup if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
StartCoup and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. StartCoup is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that StartCoup adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”StartCoup overview”]
- StartCoup adware bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- StartCoup adware is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- StartCoup adware injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- StartCoup adware changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the adware to run every time Windows starts.
This comprehensive StartCoup removal guide will help you remove StartCoup virus from your PC and get rid of ads by StartCoup on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari.
Remove StartCoup (Virus Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Uninstall StartCoup
- Step 2: Scan your computer and remove StartCoup with Malwarebytes
- Call Tech Support: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Uninstall StartCoup
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
2. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
4. Search for StartCoup in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click StartCoup to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find StartCoup in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the StartCoup extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the StartCoup add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the StartCoup extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Scan your computer and remove StartCoup with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “StartCoup” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing StartCoup we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove StartCoup.[/note]
StartCoup virus removal tips
- If you do not find StartCoup in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing StartCoup you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411