How to block 1-free-share-buttons.com referrals in Google Analytics
What is 1-free-share-buttons.com?
1-free-share-buttons.com is a referrer spam URL associated with shatebutton.net. 1-free-share-buttons.com referrals in Google Analytics are designed to gather your attention and provoke you to visit the website. If you visit 1-free-share-buttons.com in your browser you will be forwarded to the sharebutton.net website. The website contains various share buttons for webmasters; However, in return the share buttons contain spam links and help promote the spammers endeavors.
If you notice 1-free-share-buttons.com referrals in Google Analytics it does not mean that anyone was referred to your website from 1-free-share-buttons.com. The referral traffic does not actually land on your website. It is a type of web traffic known as ghost traffic that creates phantom web hits.
Referrer spammers usually target your website’s data for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
1-free-share-buttons.com referrals in Google Analytics can be an issue for anyone who values their website’s real data. 1-free-share-buttons.com referrals are are utilized to mix fraudulent web traffic data into Google Analytics reports.Referrer spam from this and other websites can ruin your personal website’s analytical data measured by Google Analytics. It can affect most of the data in your reports with fake web traffic and data. For example, 1-free-share-buttons.com referrals will appear to land on a single webpage on your website and leave from the same website, which will create a 100% bounce rate. If your website is targeted by referrer spammers you may not be able to identify your website’s bounce rate. The same can be said about other data measured in most Google Analytics reports.
Stop 1-free-share-buttons.com referral spam in Google Analytics by creating an exclude filter to block 1-free-share-buttons.com referrer spam at the campaign source. This is the method recommended by Google to block referrer spam in your Google Analytics account.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab> Cick Filters on the right side in the VIEW section.
2. Click the + ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add 1-free-share-buttons.com or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add 1-free-share-buttons.com and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple URLs to the same filter you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this with a | between each URL: Example.com | Example\.com | 1-free-share-buttons.com